Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Building a new combo and my plans continue to change, started out getting heads ported and new cam and has now turned into a completely new setup and sold most of the old stuff. Will be running a Dart Iron Eagle block with 350 mains, 4.125 bore, raised cam, bbc journals and standard deck. Heads are fully ported AFR 227, 66cc chambers, going to go with around 12.5 compression and will be looking at someone like Diamond or Je for a good nitrous piston. Will be spraying a single kit for now up to 400hp. Was planning on using my 3.75 crank and 6" rod for a 400ci but can sell my current stuff and wanting to go bigger on the stroke, will leave the bore at 4.125.

Question is, what stroke and rod would you guys reccomend that will still have enough compression ht for a quality nitrous piston? I was thinking a 4.00 stroke with a 5.85 rod ? Don't have the block here yet but Dart claims 9.020 on the deck and say they might have a little more so you can machine it to 9.020. Anyone have any expereince with the Iron Eagles and how the deck ht's run?

My old set up was a 9.8 compression SRP with a 1.125 compression ht and I sprayed it with a 300 without any issues.

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A little more info, heads flow to .750 so cam will be made to match heads, 350 turbo, single fogger, car is probably 3400 lbs, ladder bar, 13.5 ET street, but might try a 275 radial with this combo.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Befor you decide on stroke. Speak to the piston company to see what they need in compression hight. They may even have a shelf piston for you. A 3.750 stroke and a 4.125 bore should be a potent combo while keeping the budget manageable.
Good luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been emailing back and forth with Mike from Diamond, I'll see what he comes back with. Pretty sure the pistons are going to be custom anyway with the AFR 227 and the 60/40 valve spacing. The rods I have are steel and I'm leaning towards a aluminum now. So I figure if I sell what I have I could put some stroke to it but I know there is so many different possibilities with stroke/rod/rod ratio/compression ht etc. Wanting to stay with a standard deck and the standard 4.125 bore on the Iron Eagle block, juts looking for info on the best combo for my application.

Going to go with SJ for some nitrous work, maybe I'll shoot him a message as well, or Steve if you read this, got any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Good choise on the Block it's the best and I love my I.E. but I went with the tall deck. With the 9" deck do the 3.750 stroke it will make a stronger piston and make killer power. With this head you don't want the fast piston speed any more stroke will give you. YES on the aluminum rods thay can be made any length so have the piston built the best and just fill in the gap. I went with GRP 1200 series in my bullet. Really you need to get your cam made befor getting pistons so you have the specs to get correct valve pockets.

Good luck with the build it can make crazy:rolleyes: power.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good choise on the Block it's the best and I love my I.E. but I went with the tall deck. With the 9" deck do the 3.750 stroke it will make a stronger piston and make killer power. With this head you don't want the fast piston speed any more stroke will give you. YES on the aluminum rods thay can be made any length so have the piston built the best and just fill in the gap. I went with GRP 1200 series in my bullet. Really you need to get your cam made befor getting pistons so you have the specs to get correct valve pockets.

Good luck with the build it can make crazy:rolleyes: power.
Thanks, I will be sending in my spec sheet for the cam this week and as soon as my wallet recoops from the block I'll have pistons and rods done. I was seriously considering the tall deck but that would have been more stuff to sell and replace on what started out as a budget heads and cam rebuild :rolleyes: I've done alot of searching around and the 3.75 stroke combo seems to be a popular choice on the standard deck.

I sent GRP a email and they reccomended their pro series, 2000 or 2100. I told them I was going to drive it on the street.

It's going to take me a little time but I hope to have it back out next year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts