Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 345 Posts

·
LOVING LIFE
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe its me, but here is the deal..

Last season I bought a brand new CSR billet aluminum flexplate and bolt kit while at the race in Valdosta in FEB. I put the flywheel when we got the new motor done, in time to go to the LIGHTS OUT race in OCT. We made 10 passes and gutted the flywheel.
The flywheel was torqued correct and used their bolt kit with the unit. We swapped out the flexplate to our trusted steel unit at the track and continued to race.

Fast forward. I call them and talk to Roland he says send the bolt kit with the wheel, I send the flexplate and TWO other steel plates into CSR the two steel ones had busted ring gears and I wanted to pay to have them fixed.

ROLAND (owner) calls me and tells me he has NEVER had a problem with the billet aluminum wheel BUT they did have a upgrade that some of the ADRL cars use a steel insert they put in the bolt holes. So he would do the upgrade. The two steel wheels could not be re rung, since the cert was out, and they would not re-ring the flywheels.

Now it didn't make me happy that we tore up a product that was as expensive as the new billet wheels, and it didn't make me happy we couldn't get the old ones fixed, but hey he was gonna make it right on the new billet wheel.

I pull it out of the box and see that they just drilled my BILLET wheel and put inserts in it, (is that SFI LEGAL?? To drill a SFI approved flywheel?) So I call ROLAND and leave a message for him to call me, I get no return call. So I call again, no return call. So I am ready to put this thing back together and realize he didn't send the new bolts or even the old bolts I put in the package, so I once again call. The girl answering the phone tells me that ROLAND is a busy man, (aren't we all) and she could help me. I give her the run down, she says she will send me the bolts out, but needs a credit card....
I ask why? Thinking maybe she is gonna charge me shipping. Which I was ok with. She then tells me that I had to BUY new bolts and they were $40.00 plus shipping.
FYI they are ARP PART NUMBER 240-2801 bolts.
which are $22.00 a set from Jegs. http://www.jegs.com/i/ARP/070/240-2801/10002/-1

I said, well what about my bolts I sent you??? Where are they? Why didn't I get them back?? Or replaced. She then got ROLAND on the phone and he said my flywheel failed from not being torqued properly. BULLSHIT! This is not our first rodeo, and the bolts were still tight and loctited when the flywheel FAILED.
He says I would have to buy new bolts, I said well what about my new bolts I sent you. He said he would look for them but if he didn't find them I would have to buy new.
The problem here for me, is not the $40.00 bolt kit, its the fact that first he has mine, second it was a brand new piece and shouldn't have failed, and then to tell me ADRL cars run them with no problem but he does have a upgrade. Well I make the same POWER only in a 3300 lb car so it seems they need to be done that way to begin with. And why not make the transaction 100%???

He hung up on me when I said I was gonna post this on the bullet. And see what others thought.

I make mistakes and maybe I am just being too picky, but for the kind of money we spend with these places yearly I expect more when we have a failure. Now I am gonna do a rockwell test, on the flywheel and see how good it is, and make sure all 10-12,000 of our listeners on the radio show and everyone on the bullet know what to expect if this happens to you.

So how should it be handled?

·
Philippians 4:13
2,922 Posts
I know you to be a trustworthy guy, I 100% believe your side. Phuck him, I know I'll never use them now.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If it was my product, I would have sent you a new flex plate with the upgrade and a new set of bolts. Thats how it should be handled. I know customers lie, but when dealing with people at the level you are at, it's pretty much a given that the bolts would be torqued properly. This wouldn't be worth the headache to me to argue with you, especially since I would be inclined to agree with your thoughts on it.

·
TD 3550
2,989 Posts
I ever treat my customers like that, I would be out of business. Customer service is the strength of all business, Without it, You fail.

·
waiting to make a pass!
18,370 Posts
I was looking to buy a new wheel from them but after reading this i'll look elswhere. Their first loss and i'm sure there will be more from your post. Good luck

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have used there stuff in the past and tore up a ring gear and they would not replace it either cause the sfi was out of date. understandable rules are rules. call and talk to clyde he owns them and does not like to hear about unhappy customer service he will make it right.

·
TRUE STREET #441
2,476 Posts
I understand... It's not about the bolts or the 40 bucks. If a man can't stand by his product, he shouldn't make the junk. Customer service sucks now a days.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Loctite should never be used on flywheel/flexplate bolts, causes premature "torque-out" especially on click type torque wrenches.

Use moly lube instead.

In the interest of good customer service, it should have been replaced with a fore warning. Only the right thing to do in my opinion.

·
LOVING LIFE
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Loctite should never be used on flywheel/flexplate bolts, causes premature "torque-out" especially on click type torque wrenches.

Use moly lube instead.

tire shake, and moly lube have not proven to be my friend. I have loctited these bolts for years and I build more than a couple engines a year. And I have a pretty good TQ wrench, and its not a click style and we have a calibration unit as well.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts

Use moly lube instead.

In the interest of good customer service, it should have been replaced with a fore warning. Only the right thing to do in my opinion.
WWHHAT?

Dude.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
I pull it out of the box and see that they just drilled my BILLET wheel and put inserts in it, (is that SFI LEGAL?? To drill a SFI approved flywheel?)

This is what i would want to know!

If he is selling, modifying, or presenting it as "SFI" and it is different than what has been submitted to SFI they would probably like to know. After all you paid for a product that met a certain SFI spec for a reason, if it no longer meets this spec it's worthless and could possibly be dangerous!

·
LOVING LIFE
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well its obvious I have a 350.00 paper weight and trying to get this thing together for the race in Valdosta in a few weeks. I guess we put ol trusty back in.. Any suggestions on a good flexplate for a high power deal?

1 - 20 of 345 Posts