Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just talked to a SCUBA shop and the lady said that swimming with the Manatees should be on everyones bucket list.... Anyone ever done it?
Thanks,
Mike

·
888 Posts
Didn't necessarily "swim" with one, but when we were vacationing in Melbourne Beach this year, one was swimming up the coast and was right fucking there.
We had a house on the beach, and we were the only ones out there. Standing around in crystal clear, chest high water and a wave comes in. When the swell came up, something fucking BIG was in the water. My girlfriend's brother freaked out and started hauling ass toward the shore. :lol: I hesitated, and when I turned back toward the wave, I saw the nose come out of the water and realized it was a manatee. It came into slightly shallower water and we walked along with it for about 200-300 yards. I was touching its back and tail...pretty cool.
I've seen some vids of people swimming with them, and it looks pretty cool, but thought they were still considered "endangered".
S.

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
Yes I have been to Crystal River several times and Have done it Many times. I have taken all 3 three of my children to there to experiance it also. There are several dive shops in the area and some will run a tour where you will be with a lot of other people. If you need direction that would be the way to go. Only downside is when the people in your group see one and start screaming and letting everyone know they are there it frightens the gentle animals away. Best times I have ever had was to rent a boat at the dive shop right behind the best western, Take yourself out on your own time table,they will give you a map, Ride around kings bay. Go in the water when you want and you will have a ball. There are MANY manatees in crystal river,and you will see them, they are soo gentle that they will let you pet them and interact with you. Buy yourself a few disposable underwater cameras to take with you. They are a little bit higher at the dive shops. While you are there make sure you do A drift dive{snorkeling is fine if you are not a diver} on the rainbow river. Awsome place. Make sure you have dinner at Charlies fish house and a least one cuban sandwich from cravings on the water, excellent food and drinks.
Crystal River is a beautiful place that My family fell in love with many years ago, so much so that we bought a little place there, and vacation there. If you need any other info let me know.

·
Tenured Prick
1,485 Posts
I got my scuba license when I was 15, and that most of the class went to Crystal Springs. I got to scuba in the warm springs, and then snorkel with the manatees (regulators blowing bubbles scare them away). Definitely one of the wildest things to do. I still remember the little baby manatee sticking his eye up to the mask to see me inside. His momma was watching us patiently. Then another one came over and turned over on his back in front of me, signalling me to scratch his belly.

·
Registered
14,217 Posts
There was some really fat ladies in the water in Cozumel this year on vacation. I swam close by but didn't touch them. Haven't seen any manatees yet.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
you can come clean,we know you took them there! It like riding a moped ,its fun but you don't want you friends seeing you on it.

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
not to put damper on your fun but, it is illegal to touch or feed the manatees. maybe the laws have changed recently.

·
Registered
13,268 Posts
There was some really fat ladies in the water in Cozumel this year on vacation. I swam close by but didn't touch them. Haven't seen any manatees yet.

Damn Kieth, I was just reading all this thinking about how much fun this would be and then you post that! :confused: Thanks a lot! :cool:

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
not to put damper on your fun but, it is illegal to touch or feed the manatees. maybe the laws have changed recently.
It is illegal to persue them or follow them past the bouye barriors that are thier protected areas where they go when they have had enough interaction. There are wildlife officers right there observing from kyack what you will be doing. Trust me you are allowed to touch them in the areas designated for you to see them. They Love to have thier bellys scratched. Make a few calls and do your research, The Dive shops I would recomend and have used in what would be my choice in order listed,Crystal River dive shop,American Pro Dive center in Crystal river, and Birds underwater Also in crystal river.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I didn't swim with them but drank beer with them. I was down at the Crystal River Nuc Plant a few times last year and stayed at the Best Western right on the boat dock with the dive shop.

·
Registered
14,217 Posts
It is illegal to persue them or follow them past the bouye barriors that are thier protected areas where they go when they have had enough interaction. There are wildlife officers right there observing from kyack what you will be doing. Trust me you are allowed to touch them in the areas designated for you to see them. They Love to have thier bellys scratched. Make a few calls and do your research, The Dive shops I would recomend and have used in what would be my choice in order listed,Crystal River dive shop,American Pro Dive center in Crystal river, and Birds underwater Also in crystal river.

How do they react when you put your thumb in their butt? Just curious. :p

·
Registered
762 Posts
I have also snorkled with the manatees and I belive it is against the law to do anything BUT snorkel. I don't think you are supposed to scuba dive with them. They are federally protected. Crystal River is a wonderful place and the best time to do it now in the winter when they are congregating in the warm water springs. They are very cool and I like others have had them come up to me and touch my face mask as well as roll over and let you rub their bellies. Just swim into a warm water spring area, go to the edge and stand there. They will come to you. The calmer and quiter you are the more they will stick around. The dive shop we went through video taped our snorkling adventure. HAve been back several times since. The first time I would suggest going with an experienced dive shop. That way you stand less of a chance of "accidently" breaking any federal laws!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts