Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason the right side of the bed sits higher than the left. Body lines line on left side but are a hair off on passenger side. From the rear it is VERY noticeable. But the truck runs straight as an arrow. Any ideas as to what might have caused this? Trying to see what I need to do before I get a cage in it. Because I hate to put it in with it like that. Would you just get a different frame that is for sure straight and just do a swop? Or let the body shop put it on the machine and straighten it? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
If you stand behind a truck and sight across the tail gate to the front bed panel and they show twist, it is almost always a twisted frame.Assuming the bushings are right, the body isn't damaged in the mount areas, ect causing this, the frame is twisted. It is a simple fix for a body shop to fix if thats all thats wrong with it. Alot of times there is some damage to the legnth (short) or some sway to go with it. Best to get it checked out. Def do not build on top of a bent frame. A quick inspection should reveal whether or not it is the mounts or frame. Again a good body guy will spot it in a minute. A truck thats gets a decent hit in the bumper enough to also damage the bed typically will have some frame damage, but it is nothing to worry about, just have a competent shop straighten it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As many times as I have been under it I have never seen any rubber hangin out. But if you look at the frame where it curves as it goes under the back of the cab. You can't see that the bottom of the frame rail on the passenger side has some wrinkles in it. I thought it ight be twisted but I didn't know for sure. Or what would be the best way to go about it.

·
Registered
307 Posts
You might need to get some frame guages on it.do you have a bodyshop you use?If you do you can hang some guages on it to see if its twisted,if it is ,its am easy repair.Also make sure all the suspention parts arent sagging,If the car goes down the road straight,the odds are the frame isnt short on one side.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nah I don't have a specific shop I use. But its only one around here that I talked to that's got the stuff to straighten a frame. He size 200$ and he can fix it. I just didn't know if I would be better off buying another truck for a frame or fixin that one. Because I plan to get some x braces put inside the frame to stiffen it up some. And the put anti roll bars under the rear. Try to cut out all the twistin out the whole.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
If the car goes down the road straight,the odds are the frame isnt short on one side.
Not trying to split hairs here, but most trucks that get hit in the bumper hard enough to put a little twist in the frame will be damaged near the bumper mount, IE a few wrinkles or generaly out of shape there. If there is a wrinkle, its short. It is rare in my 25yrs + of heavy collision repair experience to see a S-10 truck frame short with otherwise minor frame damage (twist) anywhere other than this area. The only other possiblility would be in the kickup area between the cab and bed which would be highly unlikely, again with this type of minor damage, unless the bed floor was killed, and then we wouldn't be talking about a little twist. As far as dog-tracking, the general cause (except suspension mount damage or a bad leaf spring) would be diamond in the frame, which is one rail ahead of the other IE not square. This also causes zig zig type of sway because of the x members wanting to pivot around each other, albeit minor. A rail that is down will show short (measure) because it is at an angle but in actuality is is only short on the bottom of the rail, not the top. When pushed up it will return dimensionally accurate most times (length will return). Also a rail that is down will typically also show sway because it pulls the other rail over slightly as it moves down. I hope that clears up my statement. I was/am talking generally minor changes in dimension.

So, did you sight across the tailgate and line it up with the front bed panel? if its twisted, there's your answer. If not then look to suspension sag as stated above. 200 to measure and pull is reasonable.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes the wrinkles are between the cab and bed. The furtherest rear crossmember on the frame was cut out by someone before I got it.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
did you try sighting across the tailgate to see if it lines up with the front bed panel?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts