Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used, square and a few other company's and it seems no matter what it ends up about 3%. Where we get hammered is hand keys over the phone. We have several customers hours away who call and pay over the phone while we build there car so its always in the thousands everytime.

In the end is 3% about what everyone else seeing? A lot of places claim cheaper but by the time they add in PCI compliance, monthly fee, statement fee's etc it ends up around 3% everytime.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
we stopped taking american express since they wants like 7-8%

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
A buddy of mine owns a repair shop here. I buy my drag slicks off him and he looks after my daily rides.

He tells you upfront that if you wanna pay with a credit card, he is gonna add 3% to your bill. Paying with debit or cash is all good.

And I understand fully, why he does this. Don't have a problem with it either.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
A buddy of mine owns a repair shop here. I buy my drag slicks off him and he looks after my daily rides.

He tells you upfront that if you wanna pay with a credit card, he is gonna add 3% to your bill. Paying with debit or cash is all good.

makes sense...

gas stations around here have a cash price and a credit price normally posted for the same thing.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Credit card rates are hard to nail down with all the different reward cards out there. Calculating what you payed each month is the only way to get your true rate each month. Also on keyed cards if you enter in the security code, the numbers in the cards billing address and the zip code your rate is less.

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
Credit card rates are hard to nail down with all the different reward cards out there. Calculating what you payed each month is the only way to get your true rate each month. Also on keyed cards if you enter in the security code, the numbers in the cards billing address and the zip code your rate is less.
not what he is asking

·
Registered
20,775 Posts
We stopped credit cards all together...... not worth it at any level! Let the customer figure their finances out! They are a customer and I'm their vendor we are not business partners

·
#Tittipicsmatter !
6,327 Posts
We stopped credit cards all together...... not worth it at any level! Let the customer figure their finances out! They are a customer and I'm their vendor we are not business partners
Same here. They can bring cash or send a US Postal money order.

·
Trolling the Trolls
15,574 Posts

Which is against the terms of ALL credit card processors. You CANNOT charge extra for plastic.

You can offer a CASH discount price though....silly contract wording.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I don't monitor mine too close, but I'd say it is around 2.5%. I rarely manually enter cards, but I know they said it is 4% doing that. My machine is in the shop area and I don't really like customers coming back there, so I don't run cards as "debit". I get the call several times a week from other companies that can save money supposedly, but the guy I use is local to me, and if I have an issue, he personally walks me through it or stops by personally if he is in the area. The service us worth spending a little more as far as I'm concerned..

·
Registered
140 Posts
Many customers do not know that businesses lose 3% by using credit cards. It is unreal how much the credit card companies are allowed to take. 3% is about what they take. Explain to your customer that credit card companies take 3% maybe offer to split the 3% or maybe it is closer to 4%. Someone said it is illegal to charge extra so I dont know if what I am suggesting would break that rule. On a $100,000 project the money taken by credit card companies adds up quickly.

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
I must admit I do not know if Canada and USA are different or not on this. I use moranis for POS sales terminal. There was a deal with the Canadian Home Builders Association. Were just under 2%. I have many builders who by by CC. I have ran over $300,000 this year already. They don't know what we pay and all but 1 has use ADD 3% to the bill. They get cash back and air miles so I guess it works for them. But I also take into consideration on all retail jobs that some will pay by CC. So I build in some to the job.

I had 1 builder use 5 cards doing his house. I didn't care. Just price your work wisely and you'll be fine.

·
Banned
1,914 Posts
So you are charged a higher rate if you manually punch in the digits? Why if anyone knows?

I was at a mom & pop store with a newer card, never had an issue with it working. It would not swipe, owner asked me to hit ATM, I walked. Would have had to pay 20% on $18 bill. ATM was $3.50 fee.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts