Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone knows credit cards will phuck your world up if you're not carefull. I've been there and learned that lesson 12 years ago. I've paid the balance off every month since then. I had about $15K in CC debt. It required me to move home with my parents and pay everything I made to the CC companies. Moving balances to 0% interest cards as well. It only took a couple of years doing this. But I was young and lucky enough to be allowed to move home.

I have a friend who I have warned several times, and preached these dangers several times over the last 10 years. I made a huge issue of it when I found out they had $1,000, $5,000, $8,000. Each time they just got mad at me. I offered to help and get them debt free by forming a plan and them sticking to it. We'll I finally backed off a few years ago and only asked.."so how much do you owe now" every once in a while. Each time I was told a different story and dropped it. Well this weekend I found out they were at $22K now. :smt102 Barely able to afford the minimum monthly payments on high interest cards.

I think I'm pretty much done with the whole deal at this point. They only want to get mad at me and won't get any help. I just hate to watch them go further and further into debt until the obvious will happen. I'm sure it's only going to get worse.

Anyone else know someone like this or have this kind of CC debt themselves? Like I said before I've been there and will never go back. I hate to see people I care about get sucked in. Has anyone ever used one of the services that helps you get debt free. They obviously make money off the deal, but if it helps you get the debt paid off it should save you money in the long run and be worth every penny. Since they won't listen to me I may try to persuade them to go to a service like this. I need to do some research on them first though.

·
X275!
4,937 Posts
Its a bad deal, but their own fault for getting sucked into "keeping up with the Jones' ". Unfortunately they are going to have to deal with the consequences themselves. Once it finally hits them, refer them to a book by Dave Ramsey titled "Total Money Makeover".

·
Registered
55 Posts
man i used to work with a guy whos wife had a personal loan at three different banks at 5 small personal finance places and 47 check advances he owed like 2 grand in interest a month on it all. He said some shit like she couldnt help it i dunno. worst lost cause i've ever heard of. The bad thing is they won 25 grand and didnt pay anything off. personaly i dont have any cc debt and very lil debt at all. I just cant afford to have a whole lotta debt.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
credit-thats the problem right their-

if u cant pay now what says u going to pay later-

i dont and wont have credit cards-

i dont like credit-simple as that-

or if u going to get one-ask yourself 1 ? can u afford to pay it back within the interest free period?

if u cant even do that-u better run-

Thanks

Nick--

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use the CC for ease of use. Much easier then carrying cash for me and to track my expenses. However I do pay the balance every month and don't charge more than I can afford. I haven't paid a penny in interest in the last 10 years. I was lucky to get myself out of debt and realize that.
Thanks for the tip on the book. I might be able to get them to at least read it. I'm not a big book reader but might read it myself. Always looking to improve my finances. I'm doing good now, but need to start looking to the future.

·
Registered
7,540 Posts
I use the CC for ease of use. Much easier then carrying cash for me and to track my expenses. However I do pay the balance every month and don't charge more than I can afford. I haven't paid a penny in interest in the last 10 years. I was lucky to get myself out of debt and realize that.
Thanks for the tip on the book. I might be able to get them to at least read it. I'm not a big book reader but might read it myself. Always looking to improve my finances. I'm doing good now, but need to start looking to the future.
Bank card works the same way... Only dif is the money is there before ya buy...

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you have to order something get a debit card i dont carry alot of cash i'd spend it but with debit card if its not there cant spend it. jmo

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
If you have to order something get a debit card i dont carry alot of cash i'd spend it but with debit card if its not there cant spend it. jmo

i like and have a debit card-

u put your own money on it-see the funny thing with your own money is that u always know how much u got-:party

with a credit card-u dont want to know how much u spent-:butthead:

Thanks

Nick--

·
Another Nobody
11,806 Posts
CC debt almost bankrupted me in the 70's, i worked through it paid it off and am now absolutely debt free, I have 4 cards, all have 0 balance except the card i regularly use and pay off every month, live is much easier when you don't have to pay interest, It is easier to save for something than pay interest on it for years.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bank card works the same way... Only dif is the money is there before ya buy...
LOL Does the bank card pay you 1% cash back? I have a few other benefits with my CC as well I take advantage of. When I buy $5000 worth of parts on my CC I get $50 back. It's not much but it's something. I probably run $30K a year through my CC. I always have the money in my bank account before spending it on the CC. I like to have at least 3 months of cash reserve. I also learned a few years ago employment can end at anytime for any reason. Luckily I got a 12 week severance package because I didn't have a cash reserve at that time. To each his own. My friend for instance will be best off to never have a CC again. I see no fault in the way I use my 1 CC. :p

·
Registered
680 Posts
Well my friends call me the credit card queen - I have 42 in total - only 10 with balances - BUT I know how to play the cc game- If your credit score is high enough then its a easy game to play - Now I know alot of you would say WOW but being a single mother of a high school student with a bad habit of wanting to make my car faster all the time, its something that is a necessity. FYI the highest interest rate I have is 3.9% on all my cards!!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Everyone knows credit cards will phuck your world up if you're not carefull. I've been there and learned that lesson 12 years ago. I've paid the balance off every month since then. I had about $15K in CC debt. It required me to move home with my parents and pay everything I made to the CC companies. Moving balances to 0% interest cards as well. It only took a couple of years doing this. But I was young and lucky enough to be allowed to move home.

I have a friend who I have warned several times, and preached these dangers several times over the last 10 years. I made a huge issue of it when I found out they had $1,000, $5,000, $8,000. Each time they just got mad at me. I offered to help and get them debt free by forming a plan and them sticking to it. We'll I finally backed off a few years ago and only asked.."so how much do you owe now" every once in a while. Each time I was told a different story and dropped it. Well this weekend I found out they were at $22K now. :smt102 Barely able to afford the minimum monthly payments on high interest cards.

I think I'm pretty much done with the whole deal at this point. They only want to get mad at me and won't get any help. I just hate to watch them go further and further into debt until the obvious will happen. I'm sure it's only going to get worse.

Anyone else know someone like this or have this kind of CC debt themselves? Like I said before I've been there and will never go back. I hate to see people I care about get sucked in. Has anyone ever used one of the services that helps you get debt free. They obviously make money off the deal, but if it helps you get the debt paid off it should save you money in the long run and be worth every penny. Since they won't listen to me I may try to persuade them to go to a service like this. I need to do some research on them first though.
These people have problems far more serious than money...This is only a symptom.

·
Another Nobody
11,806 Posts
Why do you keep 4 cc around ???
you never know when you are going to need one, They all have HUGE limits, I was at a gas pump and one didn't work , so I just pulled out another. I have one i use strictly for business and one that I can use for personal stuff but can't remember when I last used it, another one use for personal travel only, book my airline and hotels with it so I can get a refund if something goes wrong. besides I have been broke before so it's always nice to now i can walk into a bank and walk out with 100K and just say charge it LOL ther are no fees any any of these cards. when amex pissed me off about something I wentto mastercard, when they pissed me around on something I went to visa , and then back to amex LOL

1 - 20 of 56 Posts