Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My crawl space is sealed completely , that's how I bought the house . I've only been under there a few times . I just went under there and there seamed to be lots of condensation Some of the vents are closed, some open
. Googling it makes it more confusing. Some say close them all some say leave a few open but if I leave a few open won't that let moisture in? Some say open all in summer and close in fall.Some say put a dehumidifier I'm which I'm considering .

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Air flow is your friend.

·
Titanium Member
11,602 Posts
All vents open.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well then open they will be !
Thanks !

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Screened when they are open to keep vermin out.

If the dirt is bare, some sort of ground cover, like rolled out plastic, helps keep humidity down.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Screened when they are open to keep vermin out.

If the dirt is bare, some sort of ground cover, like rolled out plastic, helps keep humidity down.
definitely open
the air needs to circulate
10 mil poly on the floor, if not finished. tape the seams. use butyl (sp) tape against the foundation and any piers.

More important in colder climates, but you must keep it dry

·
Registered
39,303 Posts
10 mil poly on the floor, if not finished. tape the seams. use butyl (sp) tape against the foundation and any piers.

This x 1000.

Had the same situation when I bought a summer home on the Chesapeake years ago.

I did the poly deal and it cured it 100%. Make sure you tape the seams, though.

·
Registered
261 Posts

Keep vents open in summer and closed in winter.
I had a condensation problem in mine. Adding a vapor barrier on the floor helped a lot. Airflow is your friend in the summer for sure.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Close all vents install 4" perf drain tile in a loop cover with 6mil poly, seal seams, attach tile to a radon or exhaust fan From a grow shop = bone dry year around

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Look Into 8x16 foundation vents with the fan in them. Some even have a built in humidistat so youncan set the fan to turn on above 60 percent humidity.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Look Into 8x16 foundation vents with the fan in them. Some even have a built in humidistat so youncan set the fan to turn on above 60 percent humidity.
This. I had same prob in my first house. I installed an exhaust fan over one of the vents. As long as I turned it on early enough in the spring, it would keep it dry all summer. Been out of that house for about 15 yrs, recently heard it was condemned because of mold in the crawl space!

·
Registered
13,634 Posts
I keep the bodies in mine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts