Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Is it so bad that you can not use over size main bearings?
If you try and weld it you will have issues with the base metal heat treat. 4340 is a thru harding grade and at welding temperatures you will temper spots back and over harden other spots. You can talk to a shop that does submerged arc crank welding but if the mains are messed up that bad I would scrap it and start fresh.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
I am with the other guys, find a good crank shop, have it completely check out and go from there. That doesn't look that bad and you might be able to get it ground down for oversized bearings and have it re-nitrided. What does the ID on the big end of the rod look like?

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
It don't look good
WOW that would make ET say OooUuuCccHhh!
Broking rods or pieces in your oil pan never looks good. What I was looking for was what the bearing looked like and if the actual rod end had contacted the crank journal. From that pic the bearing is still in the big rod end which is a plus. Get the crank check for cracks, index and see if they can ground that journal down and use over size bearing. Also check the oil hole from the main and see what if anything is in it. That babbit bearing should have given out long before a 4340 nitrided crank did, if not something is very wrong.
No to be funny but what did that sound like when it came apart?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.