Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a scat 4.500 stroke crank where the thrust has hair line cracks. Can the crank still be used?
I will try to posts picture latter.

·
Registered
13,484 Posts
depends on the actual grade and type of material as well as any prior mishaps or wear as well as types of repairs
or subsequent surface hardening....
some surface cracks do not do anything below the surface, others can be the death of all.

some are fine if looked at every other run as in legit fuel racing when it gets torn down all the time,

..but otherwise it is junk..

the metal is ''TALKING TO YOU"

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Man, that's got quite a few .....I don't think I'd want that in a high dollar setup.

Sell it to some schlep :p

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
being in the second picture you can clearly see it has broken thru at several points , I would change it out , no need to take a chance , and it looks like that crank has seen some heat , if its a cast crank pitch it , if its a $$$ forged unit I would send it out for a x ray to just make sure the cracks are not superficial ( only x ray or Ultrasonics can see a thru crack , Particle/dye testing will only show its a crack on the surface .) and a forged unit can be fixed by welding and grinding .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.