Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to set up a crank trigger on a sbf. I line up the magnet to the sensor at approx 20btdc. My gap is about .05. Car doesn't even try to start. Switch over to the distributor and car runs fine. If the car has the correct timing on the distributor isnt it phased good enough to start on the crank trigger? Im using the smaller 3/8 non magnetic pickup from msd due to clearance issues. They said that the smaller pickup would work. I would think the car would backfire or something when i tried to start it. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
I run the smaller 3/8 dia trigger and I had to advance it approx 30 degs. Mine is hooked to a 7 AL-3 box (it automaticly retards 25 degs on start if wired to do so).
What ignition box are you running?
Pull a plug or coil wire first to make sure your getting the signal.
The other thing is if your trigger has a ground wire make sure it is gounded and you don't have the trigger wire running near the alternator or anything electric as they so not like any stray RF.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I plugged my remote start button in to wires that the trigger plugs to ,then pulled the coil wire. It should spark every time you push the button.On my 598 12volts wouldn't spin it fast enough and it wouldn't want to start ,16volt fires right up

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
I have a 7531 box. Ill check for spark when i get home from work. Where did you ground the wire
that comes off of the plug for the sensor?
My sensor had 2 wires for the trigger and a 3rd black for the ground which I connected to a clean surface on the frame.

Are you using any extensions wires or connecting the trigger wire directly to the box?

I just looked and a 7531 is a digital box which means you can program it so I would bet you need to advance the magnet 15 to 30 degrees so the box has time to process the signal.

·
Registered
317 Posts
If you have spark with the mag style distributor and assuming you are adding an additional length of twisted pair wiring then it sounds as if your pick-up is bad, has the wrong clearance or is not centered on the wheel. You mentioned you have .050 gap which is correct. The pick-up should have @ 82 ohms across the terminal. If it is shorted or open it is bad. If it test fine unplug the pick-up from the twisted pair and attempt to fire the ignition with a paper clip. If the ignition doesn't fire then the pick-up is bad. If need be shim the pick-up so it is centered on the wheel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts