Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to change out the sprocket for a new double roller chain.
Whats the easiest way and can it be done without removing the
crank?

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Yes. Its called a puller.LOL. u can probably go to autozone and barrow one. they usually require a deposit that's totally refundable upon return of the tool. hope this helps.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I know it was a stupid question, but I was just checking whether it would damage the bearings or not and which puller I should use?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
The above puller will work. Be careful the gear may be stuck and not come off easy. You may need to tap the end of the puller with a dead blow hammer. Tighten the puller tap the end, tighten, tap. Dont hit it with a ton of force.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Make sure the end of the puller does not go inside the end of the crank and screw up the threads,screw a bolt in there first so the puller has something to sit against.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
I know it was a stupid question, but I was just checking whether it would damage the bearings or not and which puller I should use?
Thanks
ain't no such thing in my book as a stupid question. I wasen't insinuating that and I hope that's not what u were thinking. sorry if it came across that way but like others are saying that puller will work and watch to make sure u don't mess the threads up in the end of the crank. good luck.

·
Registered
33,118 Posts
If it is the original sprocket it is made of sintered iron (pressed powdered metal) and is hard but very brittle. In days of yore, we used a sharp large chisel and a big ball peen hammer to split them right at the keyway. If the hammer is big enough you don’t have to hit it very hard and it will break like glass. If the gear is steel, use a puller.

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175887

1 - 8 of 8 Posts