Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a crank welded and recut. It has a gouge on one rod throw. It's not too bad and I'd hate to junk the crank if it's repairable. It's a 4340 Eagle 4" stroke.
Who does this in the Chicagoland area?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh it's gonna need some weld. Broke a rod and it smacked the crank at about 7800rpm's. I already bought a new crank, just thought I'd keep this one for a spare.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
My crankshaft guy told me he couldn't/wouldn't weld a cheap china crank. He told me he could grind them but they were so cheap they either didn't weld well or wouldn't hold up after welding I'm not sure which. I used several Eagle cranks with good results but went with a Callies on my bigger motor in case it ever needed fixed. I haven't had any issues with any of them so far and it's been about 10 yrs since my first Eagle crank purchase. RM

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did go with a Callies for the new crank. It should be in today. I hope to have the motor done for a 10.00 index race this Saturday.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was checking out their website. If I can't find anyone local, I'll go with them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a high dollar Callies crank welded and re-ground at Shaftech in Ohio. Callies recommended them and they did an absolutely fantastic job. You can call and talk to Nick, but I'm guessing that it would probably be more cost effective to replace that Eagle crank rather than spend $300 to $400 to repair. Here's a link to their website: http://www.shaftech.com/

·
Registered
140 Posts
Just make sure you don't send it to Doug @ Crankshaft Specialties in Memphis, Tn.

This guy is a CROOK.

Jay
225-715-7879

1 - 10 of 10 Posts