Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a bbc with f1r sideslinger cog setup. got issues with keeping bolts holding the crank pulley on. 1st time I had grade 5 bolts and just washers,i put them on for setup issuses and forgot to change them out,so stupid me they twisted up like bananas and started to back out. changed them with grade 8 with lockwashers and blue Loctite,had to get put on the trailer last night back from cruise night cuz all 3 bolts fell out,crank trigger was free spinning,didnt run to good.. there is 3 5/16 bolts bolt through blower pulley and crank trigger wheel,thread into balancer. crank does have double keyways.i have a mandrel setup to run my alternator,i have a big aluminum washer that's part of spacer assembly butted up to blower pulley,thats all that holds the center.i was thinking of getting some arp studs and putting them in. or do I have some serious vibration coming from somewhere or am I just bolting this thing on totally wrong??? I do have solid motor mounts with front plate and poly trans mount.so far only street driven,longest ride bout 20 min one way have around 70-100 miles on it

·
Registered
617 Posts
Are you sure there 5/16 bolts and not 3/8? They should be 3/8 and if they are you could drill your balancer and pulley for an additional three to make it six bolts. Or if not drill and tap the three 3/8 holes to 7/16. Whatever route you go use a quality bolt or stud from arp. Lots of people have sheared their 3/8 bolts off.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.ya I'm gonna look into the bolts Lil more closely this time while I got it apart.I remember trying 3/8 bolts and I don't think they fit.I thought the 5/16 were odd.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
SBF here. I had my Innovators West balancer and pulley drilled for an extra 4 holes after the first set of grade 8 bolts backed out and a few sheared. Switched to grade 8 studs as well and no further issues. My experience with the bolts was that I thought they were tight but they had actually bottomed out just before snugging up the balancer. With the studs there is no issue tightening them when I cant see them.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I had problems shearing bolts and having them back out. Switched to arp studs and it seems to be doing the job.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it apart and the bolts didn't fall out they sheard off in the balancer.now I got a mess.they were 3/8 bolts,dunno why I thought they were 5/16.and it already did have all 6 hopes drilled n tapped.this was a blower balancer from ati.prolly should a paid attention and did all 6 then before wrexkin the balancer.dunno if I'll be able to getem out

·
Registered
617 Posts
Might have to take balancer off and see if any threads are sticking out the back. May help extacting remaing bolts.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya that's my plan hopefully I got some stick in out.was gonna pull it off tonight but got pissed at it so tomorrow night project.gonna drill pulley while I got everything apart and do all 6.does ARP have different strength studs?? If so which ones u guys using

·
Registered
7,854 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
gotcha-ya well I got the balancer off tonight and the grade 8 bolts I had in there I was able to drill out and use ez-out and was able to back them out. when I was drilling them they drilled out like it was a normal piece of steel, thought they would be harder to drill than what they were. im gonna put arp stuff in it,just for piece of mind and the fact if this happens again I gotta take apart everything in front of the motor to do this.mandrel bolt actually goes into aluminum fan shroud 1/2" .so its not a quick task fixing this thing, well anyways guys thanks again for the help,should be able to start putting back together tomorrow

·
Registered
128 Posts
You can also get some stage 12.9 allen head bolts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts