Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cragar’s are the only wheel IMO for certain ‘60’s and early ‘70’s muscle cars but they are so damn
heavy. With all the custom aluminum wheels made today, couldn’t the classic Cragar style be duplicated, maybe even in a lightweight race wheel. Is that style trademarked? No demand?

I’ve wondered about this before and now with too much time on my hands, I figured I’d ask.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I don’t think you can chrome aluminum but I could be wrong.
A very highly polished aluminum wheel can be made to look like one.maybe there is.
I’d rather have super tricks.
Weren’t they manufactured by cragar?
USA made wheels I presume?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
A very highly polished aluminum wheel can be made to look like one.maybe there is.
You can absolutely chrome aluminum. Most of the factory chrome wheels you see are chromed aluminum.

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
Yup, you can chrome aluminum, it’s very common. To me the Cragar is a timeless wheel, but yes they’re very heavy, American Racing Tori-Thrusts are another timeless wheel that aren’t quite as heavy, but not very light either.
If you’re looking for a classic drag wheel, why not just use a prostar?

·
Registered
22,973 Posts
Keystone Classic Fan here (y)

The other wheels mention are great and have their obvious appeal also.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
I'm a fan of original Cragar wheels but they can ruin the look of a car just as quickly as they can take a cars look to that next level of cool. A very niche wheel. I rank Cragars right up there with Super Tricks, Keystones and the uber cool Aluminum Slots/Beans. Just my humble opinion and yes they are damn heavy but I say they are like great tits on a small frame.......a little heavy but look oh so right!!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Keystone Classic Fan here (y)

The other wheels mention are great and have their obvious appeal also.
UGGGGGH...On almost EVERY 73-77 Monty Carlo....Got such a hatred for these wheels.
Just a thought wouldn't the design of the Cragar SS mean the weight is crucial to the structure? Seen a Klasic or two bust in my day.
Total fan of the Std finish Craigar Super Tricks NOT the SST's (Chrome Street Super Tricks)
My .$.02, not that anyone was asking.
My other fav was the American S200's ((gay people call 'em daisys)

·
Registered
10,835 Posts
There were lightweight Keystone Klassics, not sure if they ever made lightweight Cragar SS's in the old days but do now. Called 612 series...

·
Registered
22,973 Posts

·
Super Moderator
48,537 Posts
The center spoke section of a Cragar SS is cast aluminum, chrome plated and welded to the steel hoop. As far as weight goes, I picked up 17lbs. per wheel over my Centerlines.

Super Tricks are Cragar and were the lightest and best wheel during its time but a problem with splitting sealed their fate.

Cragar wheels and parts were made all over, from US to Japan to Mexico and probably other places I'm not aware of.

The skinny 4" wide SS's on the front of my Wagon are dated 1976, stamped "For Drag Racing Only" and made in Mexico.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yup, you can chrome aluminum, it’s very common. To me the Cragar is a timeless wheel, but yes they’re very heavy, American Racing Tori-Thrusts are another timeless wheel that aren’t quite as heavy, but not very light either.
If you’re looking for a classic drag wheel, why not just use a prostar?
I’m not looking for a drag wheel. I was just reminiscing about taking my car downtown on a Saturday night after a wash and polish on the car and my Cragar S/S wheels. With the street lights bouncing off the car, I knew which store front windows would best show off the shine of Honduras Maroon and the sparkle of rotating Cragar’s.

I figured it might be just as easy to make a proven seller, classic wheel as it is to make something with a more limited appeal.

I know. I’ve got too much (clap,clap) time on my hands.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There were lightweight Keystone Klassics, not sure if they ever made lightweight Cragar SS's in the old days but do now. Called 612 series...
Sorry I missed your post. There are indeed aluminum Cragar wheels. All seems right in the world now.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Do they make different offsets of cragars now?
My Velle has deep dishes on back and skinnies up front when I bought it almost 30 years ago. They were from mid 70s for sure.
A GTO I had came w 14” Fenton super sharks.
Cragars do look good in fats n skinnies to me. Still 5 star wheels are my fav.

·
Registered
22,973 Posts
I’m not looking for a drag wheel. I was just reminiscing about taking my car downtown on a Saturday night after a wash and polish on the car and my Cragar S/S wheels. With the street lights bouncing off the car, I knew which store front windows would best show off the shine of Honduras Maroon and the sparkle of rotating Cragar’s.

I figured it might be just as easy to make a proven seller, classic wheel as it is to make something with a more limited appeal.

I know. I’ve got too much (clap,clap) time on my hands.
Yes and understood. Recalling High School days w SS Chevelle's etc w Crager S/S Mags...was "The Look" most everyone wanted (y)

...and many still desired today :cool:

·
Registered
94 Posts
...everything looks better with CRAGARS! Had SS's on both cars. Now running CRAGAR Super Trick Wheels at the track. Just pollished a set for the road runner as well. No good photos yet.

·
Registered
54,910 Posts
Love the Vega and the mopars! When a car is done right, it doesnt matter what brand or body style, it just looks great.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts