Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I parked the car in 2007, working fine, noticed a hairline crack leading from about where the cooler fittings are (just ahead) and leading radially clockwise around the bell, facing the input shaft, just in front of the pump, about the 9:00 to 12:00 position. Maybe a 4 to 5 inch crack. Had the internals swapped into another core 350 case, everything was good except he rebuilt the high gear (?) clutch. I thought it may have been caused by the rigid trans shield rubbing on the floorpan.

Transmission functioned well this season, no indication of a problem. I also ran just a trans blanket. Well I had a look at the transmission (bell) today and here we go again, pretty much the same split.

Soo......What do I do?

Car is a stock subframe 79 Camaro, solid aluminum body bushings, bolt in subframe connectors (Competition Engineering) Car has a 6 point roll bar but all points are connected to floor pan so no help here in terms of rigidity. Small block car, footbraked TH350, pulls the front wheels 12 to 18 inches on the launch. Uses factory captured rubber engine mounts and factory rubber trans mount.

I will be changing to a TH400 w/brake for 2012. Is the case more durable in this area? Should I be running solid engine mounts? Should I be running a midplate? Should I buy an ultra bell? I don't want to be replacing cases yearly.

·
Super Moderator
19,476 Posts
The ultrabell will help with SFI in the flexplate area and if you fix the car , the stresses on the case will be reduced and your problems will go away. The T400 is slightly stronger in that area but not by much.

Hutch

·
Registered
502 Posts
My car did the same thing, same crack by the cooler outlets, got rid of the soild mounts, put in a mid and front motor plate, no more cracks now and the big plus is the car drives off the line perfect every time, used to be a little bit of a "fight" the first second or two of the run, now I drive with my pinky

·
Registered
387 Posts
My car did the same thing, same crack by the cooler outlets, got rid of the soild mounts, put in a mid and front motor plate, no more cracks now and the big plus is the car drives off the line perfect every time, used to be a little bit of a "fight" the first second or two of the run, now I drive with my pinky
Wait a second mr greeze, how fast are you going on that th350? :smt073

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ultrabell is sitting in the shop right now, according to the SFI date it hasn't been born yet.:rock: At this point the plan is to go with solid frame and engine mounts, Energy transmission mount. Subframe connectors to be welded to the subframe. Subframe bolts to be checked/tightened if they're loose. We'll see how things look at the end of the 2012 season.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts