Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever taken a class through them? Or more specifically, what I stated above? It's a 6 hour course covering adult and pediatric first aid, CPR, and AED use. Damn classes are popular, too, because this was my third attempt to sign up and each previous time all seats were filled.

Anything I should know ahead of time or be prepared for?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
My wife and I took the course at the local Red Cross HQ about a year and half back.Something all should do.Gotta go back for a refresher class.First hour is talk and info then lots of doing.
Liked the fact that you all went through the inital reaction response with keeping your head and making sure someone calls 911 before you even start the pumping.
You go through the process a number of times.
Get a lesson on the defibs,also.
A little sobering was the fact that the longtime instructor stated that probably 90% don't make it but that doesn't mean we should not try.
Don't have to bring anything but yourself and a pencil maybe.You get printed material and can highlight the main parts.
All else is supplied.
The dummy(not me) is pretty lifelike.
Recommend going.Good luck.

·
Drag Week Survivor
14,409 Posts
Each year a company comes into our work and does CPR/AED/first aid training. We get a cute little certificate. I really hope i never have to use it, but it's nice to know what to do when faced with an emergency.

·
Registered
20,374 Posts
best advice i can give is, don't just take the class once and think your good for the rest of your life. everyone should take a refresher atleast annually.

we have to take CME (continuing medical education) classes every month.

in real life if you ever have to perform CPR on an individual don't be affraid to do chest compressions. I have been on several calls where CPR was in progress when we arrived but the person was pushing on there chest like they were pushing on a marshmallow. when I take over chest compressions i usually break the sternum on the paitent. you have to compress the chest wall 1 1/2"-2"

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
when I take over chest compressions i usually break the sternum on the paitent. you have to compress the chest wall 1 1/2"-2"

Yup. I hate starting CPR because of that.

It's very true that most don't make it. However, the quicker CPR gets started, the better chance they have.

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
The new CPR is different than the old! No breaths, just compressions. I believe 65+ a minute is the standard, so be prepared to work your ass off for 3 minutes! Cant imagine being in a situation alone where long term compressions would be necessary!!! I would need CPR myself!! My arms were killing me!

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I have been taking the classes for the last 20 years. The classes used to be hard but each year they have required less and now any ten year old could take it. Some organizations make you retest yearly and some bi annually. Try to find a place that uses infant, adolescent and adult practice dummies as each requires a slightly different technique.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
The new CPR is different than the old! No breaths, just compressions. I believe 65+ a minute is the standard, so be prepared to work your ass off for 3 minutes! Cant imagine being in a situation alone where long term compressions would be necessary!!! I would need CPR myself!! My arms were killing me!

The compressions only CPR is for the layperson. Those taking the class will be giving breaths more than likely. The rate is at least 100 compressions per minute. The way many of us keep the beat is by singing "Stayin' alive" or "Another One Bites the Dust". Both have beats of about 100 per minute. If you sing Another one bites the dust, make sure the family isnt around ;-)

Also, if you keep your arms straight, and use your body weight to do the compressions, it won't kill your arms. It will wear out your back though.

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
The compressions only CPR is for the layperson. Those taking the class will be giving breaths more than likely. The rate is at least 100 compressions per minute. The way many of us keep the beat is by singing "Stayin' alive" or "Another One Bites the Dust". Both have beats of about 100 per minute. If you sing Another one bites the dust, make sure the family isnt around ;-)

Also, if you keep your arms straight, and use your body weight to do the compressions, it won't kill your arms. It will wear out your back though.
Yes it is, but the odds are a layperson will be the one performing CPR until a 1st responder arrives and that takes time. I had to use my arms to finish up due to low back issues of my own, but Im certified.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good info here. Thanks. I took a real basic course some years ago that included the Heimlich but one, that expired some years ago. 2, I forget the technique. And 3, I know the preferred method has changed.

What made me really anxious to get it renewed happened a few months back. A car salesman at our sister dealer came in on his day off to deliver a new car to a customer. He came in and said he'll only be there for a little because he felt like shit. Shortly after that, he has a heart attack and falls in the middle of the showroom. One of the parts guys (who is trained) performed CPR until the paramedics showed up and took over. And he survived.:smt023 Just as scary as almost dying is the fact that he would have died if he never came in that day. He would have been home alone and no one would have ever known.

·
Registered
9,264 Posts
best advice i can give is, don't just take the class once and think your good for the rest of your life. everyone should take a refresher atleast annually.

we have to take CME (continuing medical education) classes every month.

in real life if you ever have to perform CPR on an individual don't be affraid to do chest compressions. I have been on several calls where CPR was in progress when we arrived but the person was pushing on there chest like they were pushing on a marshmallow. when I take over chest compressions i usually break the sternum on the paitent. you have to compress the chest wall 1 1/2"-2"
Give em a precordial thump, breaks the sternum usually but makes proper compressions easier.

Ya gotta squish em good for CPR to work.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Yes it is, but the odds are a layperson will be the one performing CPR until a 1st responder arrives and that takes time.

Ohh yes, no doubt! But what I was saying is, most classes you take, where you get a AHA or other CPR card teach you to give breaths. The compression only CPR doesn't exactly need a class. But you are absolutely right, initial immediate compression only CPR saves lives.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
It's a good class to go through. I did my stuff through a different org, but it's all the same.

When it comes to CPR, remember that they're clinically dead. A broken sternum is the least of their worries.

AEDs are easy...But I can see how someone who's never used one before can panic and not manage to get it setup properly.

·
Registered
734 Posts
no responce,, ABC's
A-airway
B-breathing
C-circulation

broken bone injury,, RICE
R-rest
I-imobilize
C-cold
E-elevate

stroke victum,, FAST
F-face
A-arms
S-speech
T-time

will be a few things you'll learn, I went through the class a few months ago for work, they will also teach you things like for CPR, 30 compressions 2 breaths, conscious choking- back blows, abdominal thrusts, unconscious choking, tie a sling for a broken arm, how to use the (AED) automatic electronic defibulator , controll bleeding, burns, poisoning, head, neck or spinal injuries,, how to properly roll someone to their back if their laying on their stomach.

good class to take, let us know how it works out for ya

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I highly recommend the classes, and as said before, re-cert often. It's one of those thigns you hope you never have to use, but it's handy to know in a pinch.

·
all motor
4,463 Posts
i completed the course a couple years ago and i believe it may be slightly different today...

it helped me out a ton to understand what to do when an emergency takes place. they review which way to turn a person, clear their passages, and stuff like that as well, while under pressure

good stuff and Ive used it once since then and the guy lived.

·
On the roller...
15,871 Posts
Yup. I hate starting CPR because of that.

It's very true that most don't make it. However, the quicker CPR gets started, the better chance they have.
On those calls I try to drive and leave my partner to do the crunching. ;)

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
On those calls I try to drive and leave my partner to do the crunching. ;)

We usualy have atleast 5 guys on scene (3 man engine + 2 man rescue) so we switch out a lot. Plus we are busy starting IV's or drilling them (we use EZ IO's, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXtoC8v0YKg) getting a ET tube in place, drawing up and giving epi, bicarb, D50, etc.

A place I used to work for had an autopulse on each truck, which was a band that wrapped around their chest and did compressions for us. They were awesome! We had long transports, so we would start the autopulse, get them on a vent, and then transport. leaving the medic to write the report and give meds.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts