Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As short as I can, building a sand drag '77 Bronco and bought a new Coyote to power it. Have since decided to add twin turbo's and looking to make 900-1000hp. Live in SE Michigan so there are a lot of resources for engine builders with lots of mod motor experience. Contacted a couple of the big names in the metro area for price for teardown, pistons, rods, valve springs, retainers, billet oil pump, squirter block-offs, ARP fasteners, and reassembly. The 2 companies I went to were about the same in price....$7000. I still have the cost of the original purchase of my crate motor also. I have found the Aluminator built for boost with the exact same parts minus head studs for $8200 shipped. In a budget sense I sell my motor for say $5k, I'm now only $3200 away from having a motor ready for boost rather that $7k. My question.... is that Aluminator going to be as good as having mine upgraded? The parts are the same that they quoted me but is the factory machining and tolerances shit compared to a reputable shop re- machining mine?
Thanks, Shane

·
Registered
13,634 Posts
As short as I can, building a sand drag '77 Bronco and bought a new Coyote to power it. Have since decided to add twin turbo's and looking to make 900-1000hp. Live in SE Michigan so there are a lot of resources for engine builders with lots of mod motor experience. Contacted a couple of the big names in the metro area for price for teardown, pistons, rods, valve springs, retainers, billet oil pump, squirter block-offs, ARP fasteners, and reassembly. The 2 companies I went to were about the same in price....$7000. I still have the cost of the original purchase of my crate motor also. I have found the Aluminator built for boost with the exact same parts minus head studs for $8200 shipped. In a budget sense I sell my motor for say $5k, I'm now only $3200 away from having a motor ready for boost rather that $7k. My question.... is that Aluminator going to be as good as having mine upgraded? The parts are the same that they quoted me but is the factory machining and tolerances shit compared to a reputable shop re- machining mine?
Thanks, Shane
Your problem won't be the internals. It will be the block. The Coyote motor is sweet (I have one in a car), but it's not the right motor for what you're doing. If it has to be a Ford I would go with an older 4v mod motor. Or put a LS in it.

·
Registered
11,164 Posts
Your problem won't be the internals. It will be the block. The Coyote motor is sweet (I have one in a car), but it's not the right motor for what you're doing. If it has to be a Ford I would go with an older 4v mod motor. Or put a LS in it.
Aren't there a whole bunch of Coyotes at or beyond the 900-1000hp mark with stock blocks? I think the problem is the top of the cyl on the intake side. The Sportsman block is aimed at 1000+ hp builds if I'm not mistaken. Seems like someone could come up with a modification to support that are of the cyls.

·
Registered
13,634 Posts
Aren't there a whole bunch of Coyotes at or beyond the 900-1000hp mark with stock blocks? I think the problem is the top of the cyl on the intake side. The Sportsman block is aimed at 1000+ hp builds if I'm not mistaken. Seems like someone could come up with a modification to support that are of the cyls.
I think the number of people making a real deal 900-1000hp is low. Real low. I remember hearing of a few guys breaking the Sportsman blocks. Lots of stock blocks breaking. MMR has a sleeved block but I'm not sure how they work. I'm pretty sure Beefcake is sponsored by them.......and is running a filled block. Or I'm just spreading rumor, I'm not sure.

I know you can make stupid power with a 4.6L block and the Coyote stuff is iffy. And making 1000hp with a 4.6L 4v with twins is easy.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One of the builders said no problem on the hp. Will probably stay closer to the 900 mark, hell maybe it won't even make that. Have to see how the tuning goes but I first need to make a decision on which way to go? I guess I could always go conservative and use what I have and keep the boost 8-9psi. Should still be respectable and save a bunch of money. Just would like to be able to give my buddies a race!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Emailed Ken a few months ago. I really like what they are doing but my setup will have to be totally custom under the hood. I wanted to try and use some of his parts but they are not ready to split up their kit. I am going to the YBN and was hoping to talk to him there if he shows. I will still need some tuning and that's another thread! I know they are using a Aluminator in one their cars.

·
Registered
13,634 Posts
Does your block even need a cooling jacket? I'm not sure if you're just racing it or not. You could do a half fill on it and still run some cooling a I think. I seem to remember seeing a half filled Coyote with a ton of water lines coming up through the valley.

·
El Diablo Blanco
6,780 Posts
Upgrade now, or upgrade later after the fact.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Need to keep cooling jackets. Will be blasting the dunes also, 4 linking front and back with 14" King coilovers. Going to run E-85 to try and keep things cool. Waiting for a response from the MMR to see what they recommend also. Sent email yesterday. Went to Livernois and Holbrook here. Really like what Chris has going on, seemed like they would be good to work with.

·
Registered
13,634 Posts
Need to keep cooling jackets. Will be blasting the dunes also, 4 linking front and back with 14" King coilovers. Going to run E-85 to try and keep things cool. Waiting for a response from the MMR to see what they recommend also. Sent email yesterday. Went to Livernois and Holbrook here. Really like what Chris has going on, seemed like they would be good to work with.
+1 on Chris

·
Registered
12,422 Posts
I heard that there is a guy around here that is big into the new 5.0 and has some material welded to a new stock block to strengthen it, and then they knock out the stock sleeves and install diesel sleeves back in it. Supposedly takes the machinist a week to complete the block alone.

I guess he can still claim "stock block".

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Buy a Coyote truck motor out of a junk yard, sleeve it, throw some good pistons and rods in it and it will handle 1K HP all day long.

·
Registered
13,100 Posts
I heard that there is a guy around here that is big into the new 5.0 and has some material welded to a new stock block to strengthen it, and then they knock out the stock sleeves and install diesel sleeves back in it. Supposedly takes the machinist a week to complete the block alone.

I guess he can still claim "stock block".
Great reply
This is why a BBC is affordable :)

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Buy a Coyote truck motor out of a junk yard, sleeve it, throw some good pistons and rods in it and it will handle 1K HP all day long.
Yep thats what we are working on. Wont be able to say how it holds up till we run it,

1 - 20 of 21 Posts