Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Word is, if Prostock doesn't get car count up really soon that they are considering on replacing it with pro-mod for next season. Nhra says pro-mod always has a good car count and Prostock, this year, has only had barley enough cars with one race having 15

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Where did that "Word" come from?

Dave...

Word is, if Prostock doesn't get car count up really soon that they are considering on replacing it with pro-mod for next season. Nhra says pro-mod always has a good car count and Prostock, this year, has only had barley enough cars with one race having 15

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trust me on this one. Just look at all the new guys you haven't heard of at the last few races, Larry Morgan just did an interview stating how he didn't have the money to be competitive and the next race he has a second car. Charlotte will have Johnny Gray as a 4th car for the Grays, Richie Stevens returned this past weekend. Just trust me on this one

·
Registered
408 Posts
So, are you telling us that NHRA is blaming the P/S racers for their car count issues? The few NHRA events I've seen on TV have barely even shown the Pro Stock class cars in eliminations.

Very little P/S exposure on TV, and when the exposure is limited (or even non-existent at some events), the P/S racers can't keep their sponsors happy, which means that the sponsorship dollars dry up, which then means that fewer P/S cars can afford to race at NHRA National events.

NHRA National Events is a TV show, and if the "actors" stop being part of the show, they also stop showing up.

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
First, I've been a huge ProStock fan since it's inception. The technology, complexity, difficulty to drive, & close competition is second to none, but if you step back and look at it from a business & average fan perspective, what's more exciting to watch, ProMod or PS? In the beginning, PS cars compared to other doorslammer cars were "out there". Now they all appear very similar to other classes, bodies are governed by templates, etc. From a purely sensory perspective, ProMods provide both a broad visual as well as sound experience because of the various power adders that is "more like" it's big brother fuel cars if you look at it from the 5,000' view. We all know but don't like to admit it, that a majority of the fans come for the nitro cars because of the the look, the speed & sound experience they provide.

Unfortunately, the costs involved in ProStock have reached a level that very very few can participate in or sustain over the long haul. Shocks that are $18K a pair for example, constant engine development programs, new materials development, has brought it to a level where car counts can't even make a full field any more at many events. If you just look at the number of actual teams and if they only had one car each it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know how many cars there would be, VERY few. Again, from a fan point of view most have no clue as to all the technology, difficulty, costs, etc. it takes in the class. All they see is PS cars that look the same, sound the same, & go down the track the same every time at a spectator sensory level well below other classes. For racing to survive, racing has to attract the spectator fan base as well as the racer base. If I was the NHRA I'd be polling at every event & through social media as to what fans would prefer, either PS or PM, or both for that matter, but make PM a professional class as the others are.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Trust me on this one. Just look at all the new guys you haven't heard of at the last few races, Larry Morgan just did an interview stating how he didn't have the money to be competitive and the next race he has a second car. Charlotte will have Johnny Gray as a 4th car for the Grays, Richie Stevens returned this past weekend. Just trust me on this one
"Word" I heard is that when they had to cancel a round of Qualifying at Indy, it was Pro Mod. They then proceeded to essentially "complete the event", running the final rounds of the "Pro" classes then as the stands were emptying out and people were all leaving, they ran the final Pro Mod cars.

Where are you getting your information, or is it your opinion?

·
Banned
9,374 Posts
They canceled a lot of shit, it just happens during rain. Pro mod was the last to be canceled though. The current pro classes are their flagship, they will do everything possible to get them in.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts

Okay.....

1. NHRA has been singing "more car count or else" for quite some time now.
2. PM is a whole different animal, 10 races, bring their own money, etc.
3. More cars at the end of the year is not a cry for help, it's blockers for the chase.
4. Wouldn't be too sure on a 4th Gray car.

carry on......

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I don't believe it but I can see it. Editorials keep saying to add small block turbos to the class.... which in my opinion would be the beginning of the end of P/S because it would eventually turn into P/M.

I mean it would be a cool idea to run P/S on a limited schedule and have P/M run a full or limited schedule like this year. For a fan, seeing some door cars with different combos blasting down the 1/4 mile ranging 5.8x- 6.0 range could be more exciting/ relateable in comparison to a N/A drag car with an iron block doing 6 seconds. While it's impressive to the diehards....it might not be to the casual fans who might have a boosted car they drove to the strip

·
Banned
9,374 Posts
If pro mod went to the full race schedule it would be in the same boat as pro stock. How many teams could actually afford to run the whole season? You would have maybe 5 or 10 that are at most races, and the rest filler cars. It would kill the appeal and tightness of the field like we have now.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
that's why I said "Or limited like this year"

·
Registered
674 Posts
This is Great!! They see how large Pro mod is growing. Someone has to mix things up a bit. Sick and Tired of seeing the same old faces in NHRA. It has become boring. Pro mod has reach a new level. Drop Pro stock down to 10 races and every race Pro mod. All we need is for major sponsors to pick up pro mod.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts