Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
My engine is at 13.2 to 1, a 23˚ 427 SBC. My brothers 447 SB2.2 head SBC is at 14.5 to 1. So the answer is yes, you will be fine with E85. It's been wonderful to use for consistency and cheap on the wallet.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
Most definitely! 13.0-1 540 bbc here and love the stuff! Give Mark Sullens a call, He is the man for conversions.573-694-4088.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I am having my buddy build me one right now for a 440" windsor and it is 13.5to1.......said it will be no problem from what he is learning on the dyno with it.

·
Mstr Of Useless Knowledge
3,446 Posts
Yep. I changed mine over while back.. My engine is about 12 to1 Iron headed BBC. I have had zero issues. I love it the only problem I have is that it is really hard to get E85 at the pump. It usually runs about E78 to E83 in the summer and E70 to E75 winter... I just but a couple of drums and jet the carb for that blend..... This guy knows E85....

http://www.marksullense85carburetors.com/

·
Mstr Of Useless Knowledge
3,446 Posts
This might sound stupid but if you dont have E-85 at the pump locally where are yall purchasing it from?
I get mine at the pump.... The closest is about 12 miles from the house and the next closest is about 40 miles...... I just take my drums and fill them up.......

·
Registered
473 Posts
there was a post a while back about this and mark sullens said that he has a guy with 600 inch ford 15+:1 with no issues on e 85...i would give him a call

·
Registered
12 Posts
no sign of detnating problems? I'm at 14.5:1 also with cast heads on a BBc and was considering E85 but figured the 105 octane rating would not be near enough

E85 burns slow, cold and you need a lot of it. So it likes either compression or a lot of boost. I have some guys running 11.5:1 at 50 psi on ethanol (4 cylinder world). One thing we have been testing is e98. Ethanol does not really knock but when it does it knocks hard. We have seen in a datalog zero counts then instantly 8 counts! But you can make some serious power with the stuff. Good ole corn power!

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
in for info no updates on any of this stuff

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
in for info no updates on any of this stuff
Take the leap already... the stuff is good:drinkers:

Probably look into possible corrosion in fuel system.
Look into basic fuel system maintenance 101.

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
Take the leap already... the stuff is good:drinkers:

Look into basic fuel system maintenance 101.
we will see with the new engine for my chevelle.....i pm'd one guy allready. just waiting

1 - 20 of 22 Posts