Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 38mm Turbosmart ultragate wastegate that i have left over from my 70mm turbo build. Now i'm stepping up to an s480 and wondering if i have real good placement on the wastegate if i would be able to get away with using the 38mm gate on the 80mm s480? The lowest boost i'll be running is around 8-10psi pretty much all the time so not worried if i can't control boost down any lower than that.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 70mm was on my 5.3 lm7 so ~325ci, same motor that the 80mm turbo will be on but a different turbo setup, last one was a rear mount, this one will be up front. Had no trouble at all controlling boost on the last one, just wonder if going from a t4 flanged 70mm to a t6 flanged 80mm and moving it closer to the motor, if it will be able to control so was looking for some real life results on if anyone has done this set-up before?

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
The bigger turbine housing/turbine wheel is going to allow for more exhaust flow, there for requiring less waste gate, however, the relocation of the turbo from the rear to the front is going to require diferent piping, and the exhaust gas will be much hotter at the point of the turbine housing and waste gate, there for more expansion, requiring more waste gate. If you pipe it right, you may get away with it, but I doubt it. In short, it either will or it wont, work.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea i was trying to weigh my options price wise, as far as either selling my gate like im trying to for $175 and buying one used 44mm+ gate or trying to find another used 38 mm gate. What do you guys would be the better and/or cheaper option?

·
Registered
57 Posts
On a 302 and a 76mm with a .96 AR. mine would creep to 18lbs.We added another 38mm wastegate and can run10lbs all day.

I would think it would creep boost really bad.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Buy another 38. A single 44, and you are damn near in the same boat. The only way it will work is if it is piped right, and the gate is placed correctly. You will get away with a lot more using twin 38's. If you were to use a single, I would look for a 60, and it still falls on piping and placement of the gate.
Yea i was trying to weigh my options price wise, as far as either selling my gate like im trying to for $175 and buying one used 44mm+ gate or trying to find another used 38 mm gate. What do you guys would be the better and/or cheaper option?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds good, so who can get me the best price on another turbosmart 38mm gate? lol

·
Registered
2,165 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea kinda leary on buying something from singapore and the shipping says 14-22 days lol. Anyone gotten one for $175 off ebay with luck?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I went from a MP T70 to an S475 on my car with a 38mm Tial. Both times the gate was plumbed into the DP and it runs 2psi less with the same spring with the S475. The people that have tried a 38mm with an S400 seem to be hit and miss and it seems to have everything to do with placement.

·
Registered
566 Posts
The singapore ones are fake, they even have a typo on the cap, says something like "manufutred in australia".
They look like a decent knock off but who knows if they are machined correctly and use correct materials.
I can tell you from expreience that turbosmart products on ebay are dead cheap, I am a dealer and I know the discount I am on is good, but they are on ebay for like $20 more than I get them for. The market value of turbosmart goods has fallen so sharply that I cannot even make $20 on a wastegate so why bother stuffing around with them when a tial or precision gate is cheaper, works just as well and doesnt have an over inflated retail price.

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
Add a JGS 40mm W/G it bolts on in place on a 38mm and is larger.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How much for a JGS Robert? Do you suggest running just a single JGS 40mm or a JGS 40mm and my Turbosmart 38mm, seems kinda funky to run two different sized gates?

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
How much for a JGS Robert? Do you suggest running just a single JGS 40mm or a JGS 40mm and my Turbosmart 38mm, seems kinda funky to run two different sized gates?
I would not run two different gates. But I have seen some crazy stuff done....
I would sell the little 38 and use that money to get a new 50mm. One gate one connection, done.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I can tell you from expreience that turbosmart products on ebay are dead cheap, I am a dealer and I know the discount I am on is good, but they are on ebay for like $20 more than I get them for. The market value of turbosmart goods has fallen so sharply that I cannot even make $20 on a wastegate so why bother stuffing around with them when a tial or precision gate is cheaper, works just as well and doesnt have an over inflated retail price.
That is quite interesting to hear.
So you are complaining that you cannot make the same profit margins selling the REAL product versus counterfeit crap product? It looks like all of the "cheap" gates (not just Turbosmart) on E-Bay are from the same place.
As a Dealer, I am sure you are aware that we do not support auction sales. This means there is no warranty and no support available. Call singapore for parts and help and tell me how that works out.

Why dont you just give me a call?

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Marty
You work at Titan?

That is quite interesting to hear.
So you are complaining that you cannot make the same profit margins selling the REAL product versus counterfeit crap product? It looks like all of the "cheap" gates (not just Turbosmart) on E-Bay are from the same place.
As a Dealer, I am sure you are aware that we do not support auction sales. This means there is no warranty and no support available. Call singapore for parts and help and tell me how that works out.

Why dont you just give me a call?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts