Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question on cost of college tuition. My wife claims small community colleges are $500.00 per credit hour and big colleges like U of M are $1000.00 per credit hour. Then says the average 4 year degree costs $100,000 to $140,000!. Then she says all my cars have to go.......seems like more bullshit just so I will sell my toys.

·
Brewmaster
12,612 Posts
Grants are out there and that's how a buddy of mine paid for a lot of shit this year. Oh yeah, he still has all his toys.

·
Registered
113 Posts
All depends on where you live. In California, community colleges are $24 per credit hour, state colleges run about $6k per year, UC's (UCLA, Berkeley, etc) are around $20K and private colleges will run you $30-50K.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
The cost of college tuition has skyrocketed since 1980. It's gone up over 300%! It's the next bubble to burst and unfortunately I have a 13 and a 17 year old who will be going soon. We've encouraged them to do as well as they can in school to earn grants but we're also encouraging student loans and state colleges, which are cheaper. My wife and I are NOT going to refinance our house to put them through school. We've got less than 10 years left on the mortgage and I can see the finish line in sight. I want it paid off in my early 50's so that I can enjoy my later years and not have to work 60 hours per week to make things happen.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Question on cost of college tuition. My wife claims small community colleges are $500.00 per credit hour and big colleges like U of M are $1000.00 per credit hour. Then says the average 4 year degree costs $100,000 to $140,000!. Then she says all my cars have to go.......seems like more bullshit just so I will sell my toys.
First of all go to in state school it cost me about 60 grand for a 4 year school for my 2 kids

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Its running about 6K per year for my son in a TX state school. If they live in a dorm on campus which he did his 1st year only, thats where the cost get really insane

·
Unoffical YB Fundraiser
14,678 Posts
My daughter is looking at going to a state school (PA). In PA there are 13 schools she can choose from and every one of them is a top notch college. The cost is roughly 18K per year but after scholarships and grant money the average cost per student is 8500.00 per year. That includes dorm fee`s and a meal plan. Do some research I belive every state has programs like this.
Also check into http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/
Also remember when appyling for grants there should be no fee`s.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Student loans, kids seem to do better in class when they are paying for it themselves, and there is plenty of grants out there up for grabs.. 4 year college from community, state, and private can run anywhere from 12K to 160,000 (Princeton) .. Most do 2 years at there local and move onto bigger colleges... WVU has a 100% admission acceptance... Alternative is to join a union and make the big bucks, and don't have to pay nothing back :)

·
Registered
714 Posts
She (Your wife) is lying unless they are going to become lawyers or Doctors. I paid off my student loans about 5 years ago. I have two Engineering degrees.

It took me approx 10 years to pay them. Current Student loans are low in interest. Tell your kids thats how they are going to College.

They will also appreciate school more once they realize they have to pay for it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
College tuition ain't no joke. That shit is RIDICULOUS. I heard on the radio last week that the rate of inflation for tuition is DOUBLE the rate for healthcare.:rolleyes: I have twins that started college this last year and it looks like it's gonna cost me 100,000 to get them through school. And they both have the HOPE scholarship that is supposed to pay a large portion of their school. And then I look across the street at my neighbors. They have a 17 yr old girl that just downloaded a baby. Babies daddy ain't nowhere to be found. That girl gets a free ride to college from the state because she is a single mother. Go figure.:axe:

·
Tenured Prick
1,485 Posts
Take this advice from a professor: have your kid take general courses and requirements at a community or junior college, and then transfer in to a bigger school. Much cheaper.

On a side note, I hate how higher education has been rising in costs, double or even triple the rate of inflation. Crying shame. If I had enough space and time, I could go into the bogus reasons for the inflated costs.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
My wife graduated pharmacy school at UF 3 weeks ago, the cost of tuition almost doubled over the last 4 years. That being said she graduated with one of the most expensive degree's, from one of the most expensive schools, with NO grant help with about 95k in student loans, and we took out a little more than necessary.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
My daughter just finished her first year of college at Milsaps in Jackson Ms..it one of the top private colleges in the country. Tuition was about 35K for the year! Fortunately she got a scholarship that paid little over 1/2. Still costs a fortune though!!!!!!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Take this advice from a professor: have your kid take general courses and requirements at a community or junior college, and then transfer in to a bigger school. Much cheaper.

Yup, what I said...some community colleges are better then the bigger universities..

On a side note, I hate how higher education has been rising in costs, double or even triple the rate of inflation. Crying shame. If I had enough space and time, I could go into the bogus reasons for the inflated costs.
College is a money making business, and all you are is the last 4 digits of SS number.. They are pumping out thousands of kids a year out of college with no guarantee in finding a job... trade school is another big plus

·
Environmental Hazard
1,917 Posts
Skilled trade school is still affordable ($750 per year ) . We have a shortage of skilled labour and are importing trades people from around the world . I still don't understand why we don't have any US tradesmen coming to Alberta to work ? With all the benefits and vacation pay it's around $51 per hour for a journeyman trade .

No one wants to get there hands dirty anymore , I will put my paycheck up against anybody

1 - 20 of 35 Posts