Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a Makita 3/8th and a driver impact for little stuff, but what do you guys use for big stuff? Axles, 1 inch and greater bolts, pinion nuts, fire truck wheel nuts. Thanks. I heard that the 1/2 Ingersoll Rand is a beast.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Milwaukee M18 Fuel. I have the 3/8" drive and it zips lugnuts off pretty easy. The 1/2" is rated at 1,100 ft-lbs, same as the I-R I believe. I'm hooked on the M18 platform though. There have been some great discussions over on Garage Journal about the various brands.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Milwaukee M18 Fuel. I have the 3/8" drive and it zips lugnuts off pretty easy. The 1/2" is rated at 1,100 ft-lbs, same as the I-R I believe. I'm hooked on the M18 platform though. There have been some great discussions over on Garage Journal about the various brands.
the one rated at 1,200 looks to be the 3/4 drive impact....not 1/2 drive...but then again some of the specs on the CPO site say otherwise??

·
El Diablo Blanco
6,780 Posts
I still have my ct6850 snap on impact...but I'm sure there are better impacts now...ive had mine for about 4 yrs
That's the biggest one I have as well. Seems to work pretty well for most stuff that I know I don't know ahead of time that I need an air impact on. That 1/2" IR 20v is pretty much the baddest one out there. My Snap-On has broken some 33mm/1 5/16" lugnuts loose @ 450ft/lbs, but it wasn't happy.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
That big of hardware you need 3/4-1" drive heavy duty impact with a Big compressor. Wouldn't even consider 1/2" drive especially electric.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Buy the like dual piston 1/2 drive from harbor freight. you will know if you read all the boxes. Its the only one with like 600 ft. pounds tq. I use it as a literal hammer too. I pound the shit out of all kinds of stuff with it. At 150 psi I have yet to find something it won't break. paid like $38 for it.
I can't use it on shitty rusted out cars cause it makes rust fly everywhere in the shop and its a dang mess. Shakes the whole damn car.

·
SASQUATCH RACE TEAM
18,078 Posts
I have a Makita 3/8th and a driver impact for little stuff, but what do you guys use for big stuff? Axles, 1 inch and greater bolts, pinion nuts, fire truck wheel nuts. Thanks. I heard that the 1/2 Ingersoll Rand is a beast.
I don't think you will find a cordless that will touch a 1" bolt that's torqued to spec. Std grade 8 trq on a 1" bolt is 660ft lbs. You need a good 3/4" air gun or bigger.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I've sold a couple dozen of the new M18 fuel Milwaukee 1/2". They are rated at 1100 ft/lbs of torque. Two shops demo'd the snap on and Milwaukee at the same time and they both bought the Milwaukee. I sold one shop an IR and its been in for repair 3x in less than a year. I haven't pushed them since. I'd buy a Milwaukee.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
I've had the few of the snap-on guns. Great but the batteries aren't as strong anymore and I refuse to pay what they want for batteries..
I bought a Milwaukee M18 for 1/2 the price of the Snap-on.

·
Just Sayin Crew V.P.
37,825 Posts
Snap on here

·
On the flow bench
13,722 Posts
hitachi 18 volt here
not missed a beat
1/2 rattle gun
5 inch grinder
1/2 drill