Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Roll Tide!
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motor is 4.630 bore with 4.650 x .053 gaskets. Compression is ~14.5:1

I want to drop the compression some (blown alcohol), and I've found some .072 gaskets, but they aren't SCE gaskets. We've had great luck with SCE, and not so good luck with JEG'S brand.

Question #1- What are some other brand name high quality copper gaskets?
Question #2- If the pistons are in the hole ~.010, is there any reason not to run 4.630 diameter head gaskets? In my home made excel spreadsheet, changing the gasket diameter .020 only changes the compression from say 13.78 to 13.80 (I can find 4.630 SCE gaskets).

Thanks

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
Brady,

Give Mark @ Flatout a call. He can help you with everything. There are thicker options as well. Tell him I told ya to call and if he didnt hang up, your good to go.

·
Registered
15,972 Posts
Are you sure your math is correct? You have left out some numbers required to do the calculations but the change in the diameter of the gasket will change the compression about .007 by itself, that is by using the smaller diameter hole you will increase your compression about .007.

As for the compression change you need several more figures to calculate it but you should be seeing a much larger changer for 20 thou probably in the order of .5 to .75 decrease. I would go to any of the compression calculators on the web and plug in your bore and stroke combustion chamber CC's etc and I think you will find that you are looking at a much greater change.

PS Yeah I agree the Flat out are good gaskets.

Richard Gavle

·
Registered
303 Posts
guess im to late but i am going to vote for flatout anyways, they even happen to have had my oddball combination in stock with a part number. Surprising since only a handfull of theses block where ever machined.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I run Clark gaskets and have been pleased. I can't remember the brand but I tried some of those rubber coated ones and they leaked water.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.