Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody out there running a copper exhaust manifold gasket for a street driven turbo application? Results?

Do you apply hi temp silicone sealent to them as well?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
ive run only the hightemp silicone before lol

Its all i have between my tubro and its flange as well.

·
Registered
16,499 Posts
The only copper gasket that would work would be an extremely soft copper, which 90% of the ones available are not. You would have to anneal the shit outa them to soften them up. Then still use rtv. Clean the sealing surfaces really well, and use copper rtv sealant, or good quality high temp rtv. That's it.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
If you insist on running gaskets go ahead and make the switch to Remflex Gaskets. They work great!

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
The stock GM gasket is very good, similar to the Remflex gasket which is a MLS style gasket and also will work with primary tube up to 2". I run a copper gasket made by Flatout and it has a thin layer of clear high temperature silicone rubber to ensure a good seal. I have reused them 3 times now and the coating is still intact with no leaks. If you have perfectly flat flanges the red or copper RTV is a good way to go as well.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is my first set of headers and I have just ever so slight wave in the middle less than 1/32 from being flat. You guys think the stock ones could accommodate for that? Maybe use some high temp sealent as well? Thanks!

·
Registered
642 Posts
If you insist on running gaskets go ahead and make the switch to Remflex Gaskets. They work great!
have em on my car...warped header flanges & no leaks
also use the Proform locking header bolts

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
I agree. I ran Remflex for a LONG time but use just red silicone now with no issues. AND you can go get it at the parts store. If you get in a bind, your not going to find a Remflex in stock anywhere.

·
Registered
16,499 Posts
It is my first set of headers and I have just ever so slight wave in the middle less than 1/32 from being flat. You guys think the stock ones could accommodate for that? Maybe use some high temp sealent as well? Thanks!
Stock and rtv should be fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts