Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
The X-Bomb
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have a cooling issue i cant figure out. stock 350 chevy that was in my s-10 and ran 180-190 all the time no matter what. i took that motor and put it in my rx7 and the only thing different is i put an electric water on (new) and used the alum radiator that was made for the car. i tried one of those restrictor plate in the thernostat housing so i thought it might be the wrong size so i put a 160 thermostat in it and still the same thing 225-230 degrees. any ideas? its even the same auto meter temp gauge.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Maybe the radiator is plugged? Seems to me its either that or the water pump since thats all you changed.

Get it up to temp and circulating and see if there is any colds spots in the radiator that would indicate its got a blockage in it.

·
The X-Bomb
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i also want to ask where to put the sending unit? i put it in the head as i thought i would want to know the temp there over the thernostat housing area. maybe thats why it reads higher then normal. but i wouldnt think there would be that much difference between the two places.

·
Grizzly
45,815 Posts
Do you have a temp gun...:confused: the guage could be sprung or bad..i would check it with a ray gun and see where it building up the heat at

·
The X-Bomb
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe the radiator is plugged? Seems to me its either that or the water pump since thats all you changed.

Get it up to temp and circulating and see if there is any colds spots in the radiator that would indicated its got blockage in it.
good idea i never thought about that. thanks

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
I see you have the temp sender in the head. I have found that will read higher most of the time due to the exhaust ports . Maybe 15 to 20 degrees at the most......

·
The X-Bomb
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have a temp gun...:confused: the guage could be sprung or bad..i would check it with a ray gun and see where it building up the heat at
i have access to one and thats also a great idea thanks. speaking of the gauge i did see it do something funny last night. once it was up to temp and over heating imo and when i started cooling it down without it running. the needle did some jump thing to real high and then back down to what would be more normal. but i was doing a fast cool off by running the water pump and fan when this happened so could be that.

·
Senior Moment
9,664 Posts
Run it with the hood off. Heat may not leaving the engine compartment fast enough,,,TLW.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
In your other vehicle, I am guessing you had all the factory shrouds in place for the radiator? From your picture, it does not look like you have the factory shrouds in place that came with the RX7. Mild overheating like this can be caused in a street car by not using the shrouds and front air dam that were designed by the factory to direct the air flow through the radiator. It does not really seem like these pieces of plastic would make a difference, but it makes a big difference. You likely do not have a problem getting heat out. Your problem may be that you are not directing the airflow into the radiator thus causing overheating. Your fan is really only making a difference at stops and low speeds, but not at normal driving speeds.

·
SASQUATCH RACE TEAM
18,078 Posts
i dont think the hood would be the problem. here is a pic and its got a big hole to let heat out...lol..or let the cool in i should say!

looks like the radiator is lower than the t-stat. do you have a air bleed at the highest point? also are you sure its a 3 row. most alum. radiators are 1 or 2 row. also tube size has a bearing on the systems ability to dissipate heat.

·
The X-Bomb
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In your other vehicle, I am guessing you had all the factory shrouds in place for the radiator? From your picture, it does not look like you have the factory shrouds in place that came with the RX7. Mild overheating like this can be caused in a street car by not using the shrouds and front air dam that were designed by the factory to direct the air flow through the radiator. It does not really seem like these pieces of plastic would make a difference, but it makes a big difference. You likely do not have a problem getting heat out. Your problem may be that you are not directing the airflow into the radiator thus causing overheating. Your fan is really only making a difference at stops and low speeds, but not at normal driving speeds.
this is true and i can see this maybe, but the truck never had a fan blade on it and no shroud just air thru the grill but on this car looking thru the bottom grill only about a 1/3rd of the radiator is in direct air flow. so maybe were on to somthing.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
this is true and i can see this maybe, but the truck never had a fan blade on it and no shroud just air thru the grill but on this car looking thru the bottom grill only about a 1/3rd of the radiator is in direct air flow. so maybe were on to somthing.
Um hmm..... I bet the RX7 originally had some sort of front air spoiler and shroud. That design would suck the air up from the bottom through creation of high and low pressures

·
The X-Bomb
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
looks like the radiator is lower than the t-stat. do you have a air bleed at the highest point? also are you sure its a 3 row. most alum. radiators are 1 or 2 row. also tube size has a bearing on the systems ability to dissipate heat.
another pic showing the fill on the thremostat housing. and im pretty sure it has 3 rows..at least 2 for sure but im not 100% on the 3.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts