Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ready to order a radiator for my car...little to no street driving....I've done some searches and can't seem to find the answers I'm looking for....I have a 632 n20 motor and was looking at the best route of cooling or alternative methods....I wanna keep the weight way down so I can keep the percentages close Where I'm at without moving bunch of weight around....I found a nice account double pass that is 10x9x2.5 and a 8 inch fan That goes to it....not sure how small I can get away with?? Thanks alot

·
RED ROCKET
8,635 Posts
i use a 16x31...they seem to rush us as the night gets late so i want the extra cooling.

·
Trevor Stripling
1,519 Posts
Where did you find the double pass 10x9x2.5?

Trevor

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I'm ready to order a radiator for my car...little to no street driving....I've done some searches and can't seem to find the answers I'm looking for....I have a 632 n20 motor and was looking at the best route of cooling or alternative methods....I wanna keep the weight way down so I can keep the percentages close Where I'm at without moving bunch of weight around....I found a nice account double pass that is 10x9x2.5 and a 8 inch fan That goes to it....not sure how small I can get away with?? Thanks alot
I agree with onefast68,I have a 632 also and I have a big radiator you want the cooling.Plus a 632 will move the weight anyway.

·
Registered
13,889 Posts
that rad you found will knot cool that motor !!!
been MFG radiators for 18 years . what is in your car now and how much does it weight ?

·
Registered
13,889 Posts
well I don't drive it , so I have a 19 x 20 x 2" thick core.. just use the fan after the pass to cool it , I only run the water pump on a pass. also 90% of cooling problems are from water speed!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where did you find the double pass 10x9x2.5?

Trevor
Its from speedway...its a Afco......power mad-- this is a new combo so I don't have anything now...with my small block I had a stock one out of a 74 Nova.....I figured it would be good enough since I pull the car up and back. I figure a full size radaiayor filled and a fan are roughly 40 lbs

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Its from speedway...its a Afco......power mad-- this is a new combo so I don't have anything now...with my small block I had a stock one out of a 74 Nova.....I figured it would be good enough since I pull the car up and back. I figure a full size radaiayor filled and a fan are roughly 40 lbs
40lbs with a 632 is one hundred if that.I lost one hundred with 50lbs.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
When considering the weight of the rad, don't forget to consider the effect on HP if you are able to run at 140-160* vs. 190-200*. I suspect that will make up for the incremental weight difference of the heavier rad. Also, I have a 55 gal Meziere WP, and it is a bad mofoker, and made about 20* difference vs. other WPs out there...worth the investment to move more water (as David Powermad mentioned). And I have dual fans, and run them briefly when being towed back (but don't like to because they drain the batteries so much - 2 16Vs).

·
Registered
13,889 Posts
fofo the pump made the difference beacuse it moved the water faster ,and it must of needed that ( water moving to slow before).. if it stays in the rad to long it just gets hottter, if to short ( water moving to fast ) the fins can't take the heat out of the tubes!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
40lbs with a 632 is one hundred if that.I lost one hundred with 50lbs.
I'm not concerened with the weight slowing me down....I'm running 29.5x10.5w ...more concerned about putting unnecessary weight up front that I won't be able to transfer...I guess I don't know what 50lbs vs 20 lbs would be in percentages on the scales...and I also figure the small one would work because buddy with basically same setup doesn't run any radiator at all...and he sprays 750 total and never gets over 200 at the end of a pass.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I'm not concerened with the weight slowing me down....I'm running 29.5x10.5w ...more concerned about putting unnecessary weight up front that I won't be able to transfer...I guess I don't know what 50lbs vs 20 lbs would be in percentages on the scales...and I also figure the small one would work because buddy with basically same setup doesn't run any radiator at all...and he sprays 750 total and never gets over 200 at the end of a pass.
Wow,just trying to help.If you cant get 830 foot pound of tq to transfer.Nevermind carry on.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
how are the hose's routed ?? no hot spots in the heads ??
there is no hoses... where the water pump bolts to the waterpump motor.. he took the motor out and just put a tube with a quick disconnect on it and every pass we cool it down with a keg full of water and a remote pump on it.. works pretty sweet. cools it from 190ish to 120 with circulating fresh water through it.....

and to chesterboyz... whats wow? this is a completely new car with new setup... im going from 500 hp on motor to 1200 on motor with spray.. im basically going in blind... im the only small tire guy around where we race.. and the track we race on is marginal at best... so it may work great and have no problems or it may not and i may have to fight a shitty track all the time... im just trying to weed out all the unnecessary weight up front...

·
The nitrous guy
7,189 Posts
To actually cool a big motor, you need a big radiator. Those little Scirocco rads won't cool a big motor, but they help it stay cool ENOUGH. Now, that said, we don't run a radiator in Chad's drag radial car period, nor do we circulate water. We tow to the lanes at 100 degrees, make the pass and the car is about 130 at the stripe. I make 30 degrees of temp during a run, WHY do I need a radiator or water pump. We cool it in the pits with a chiller. Never understood all these guys who run their headsup cars at 160-180 or 200. It is common knowledge that hot oil and a cool motor make power, so don't understand the hot temps guys run at.

Monte

·
I kill parts
10,390 Posts
^ I found more power running mine cooler on gas, but with the methanol dominator on top it needed 160-180 at the hit or it was lazy. More compression or a little more timing at the hit likely could have change that though.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts