Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since guys around here seem to be more used to fairly high horsepower/street builds, I figured I'd come to you guys for help. Here's the deal:
I have a 540 BBC, Brodix 2x heads, solid roller cam in the .620 lift range, 14:1 pistons with an old-style Tarantuala (yeah, REAL old) manifold. The intake is temporary so I'm not too concerned about that. But here's the question: What mechanical waterpump/pulley/radiator combo would you guys recommend? The engine will go in something like a late 60s Nova, perhaps a mid 60s Belair/Biscayne so I think I can fit in a radiator in one of those bodies that'll work. My intent is to keep itkind of unobvious, almost stock appearing so I need ordinary looking stuff.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I just relocated from PHX to Fort worth so I get the heat deal. I ran a 4 core champion aluminum rad in my 62 chevy truck with a full shroud and fan clutch. It work great cooled with no issue. However I bent two Vic junior pump shafts. The clutch on the fan was the issue. Most fan clutch set ups are not meant for any real RPM. Not to say that you cannot make it work as I did for almost a year. Move forward I opted to leave the rad and pump ( new pump ) in place and used a electric cooling fan with built on shroud. A fan with no clutch like a flex fan does not work very well and non clutch non flex fan moves a ton of air but tons of noise from the fan running non stop.. The rad company now also sells a fan rad combo I never used that set up. But they have tons of 100% bolt in options and my 62 chevy truck is a very short year odd set up and it did in fact bolt in and the stock shroud parts also bolted right up. A new style electric would not look out of place and will work better to keep the engine cool. I worked very hard to keep the stock look as well but after ripping the ALT off from the bent water pump shaft and having it fly around in the engine bay ,was a mess. Hard to keep a big inch cool in AZ heat with the stock stuff.. Top temp I have seen thus far in grid lock has been 190. With a 160 stat and the fan is set for 180.

Here is the link to the rad ( tons of guys use these and they offer money back if it wont cool) I run a 11.2 SBC in stop and go city traffic. I- 35 here is twice as bad as the 101 or 1 17 rush hour deal .. no cooling issue at all. http://www.championcooling.com/parts-catalog/

Here is the fan link http://www.coolingcomponentsinc.us.com/

Good luck. BTW I miss the dry heat this heat is brutal. 100 * temps with 65 % humidity sucks!!!!

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Right now you're not missing anything as it's 107 today & they're predicting 114 tomorrow and of course this is "monsoon" season so humidity is relatively high (20+ %) nothing like Fla I know, but compared with the usual THIS SUCKS!

·
Registered
871 Posts
This is what it did. The clutch locked up and when that happened it caused the flange to slip and cock on the pump which was then massively out of balance and true. The first time it was bad the second time I replaced everything and it bent another shaft. Went with the fan I listed no issues at all.. BTW your screename.. Bummer those cars are super sneaky... , almost got caught by one.. ha ha and I am in Texas today it will be 100 and humidity will be 60+%.. I have to say I miss the dry heat as this is tougher to deal with.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! Now here's a specific question-----------what are the specs on the radiator? Tube size? number of fins-per-inch? And how much air do the electric fans move? If I have to, I can put up with the elec. fans as I think I can hise them in a stock shroud covering the "real" fan/shroud combo. And your pulleys were what size?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Sorry I never bothered to worry about the internet topics about fins per sq inch etc . Pulley size Stock ratio ??. The pulleys are all March pulley and a complete kit. End of the day I dont care about any of that provided the thing stays cool. Thus far I have gone 7.30 in the 1/8th only one kit at the huge setting of 100 HP ha ha and pulling -4 on timing on 93 pump. I have another kit set at only 100 that I will bring on next it been a test and tune thing thus far.. I drive it to the track and home. 86 miles round trip, I drive it in grid lock traffic. These champion rads are widely used and I could not find one person that had a cooling issue with one. The only reason I went to a electric fan was that mess in the pictures .

Testing on fans and such always seems so biased .. All I can say is these items work and I lived in PHX so I know it worked there as well. Maybe give them a call and see what they say.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts