Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a blown bbc 8-71 the damn thing runs hot and i can't figure out why. new raditor, fan and evans coolant. driving 55-60 on the freeway she gets hot and seems to level out around 210 -200

·
Confused Racer
42,052 Posts
Do you by chance have the timing down low? You need 36-38* driving around when your not under boost.

·
Registered
761 Posts
just a little something..do you have a mechanical water pump? if so, what are the pulley diameters? a lot of times we put underdrive pullies on to get the rpm right at wot and it slows the flow a lot at low rpm. do you have a thermostat or atleast a restrictor in the intake? could be also runing really lean? ..good luck!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes its a mechanical pump its driven 1:1 i took out the 180* thermostat and now trying a restirctor its a dfi big stuff3 unit its actully running a little fat I'll try alittle more timing in it to see if that helps ringht now its 30* until 2000rpm then its look out at 34* thanks for allthe help

·
...failure to communicate
4,872 Posts
How well is the tune? Mine would run 190+ after the burnout and get to 210 after a pass on teh track. In he driveway idling, it would see 180-190 easily with fan and water pump on.

It was rich so I dropped 4 jet sizes in the primary. It runs 160-170 in the driveway and after 3 passes Sunday, never got over 175*

Being a blower car, is it maybe a little too fat?

·
Registered
634 Posts
I know its probably a simple Idea, but I had one of those nice aluminum flex fans at first.
Damn thing drove me nuts trying to figure out why it was over heating. put in a new Griffin alum. Rad. redid the shroud, and it turned out to be that Damn fan. Put on a stock looking full bladed fan, and no problems now.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Has anyone tried the reverse cooling method? A friend of mine runs this on his 69 Hemi Dart and it wont go over 175*

Rick

1 - 12 of 12 Posts