Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little background. 383 sbc, garrett gt42, 4.3l reverse rotation pump and serpentine accesories, superior s10 swap radiator, dodge viper electric fan (on low), 160 thermostat, and the 4" core intercooler is in front of the radiator(could be the issue)

On the highway, the truck will run 185-190 for the norm. for the most part, the temp seems to fluctuate alot (185-215). it seem like when i start playing with the boost, cruising in 4th when i can be in 5th, it seems to jump up to 215 right away. I havnt hooked up the high speed fan, because i was told that the temp wont drop any lower than the temp it runs on the highway.

do you think i can have cooling issues because i am running a reverse rotation water pump off a 4.3l v6 on a sbc? i did have a 190 thermostat and it was the same thing. im thinking about upgrading to a better made fan shroud and some ducting to the radiator.

i am trying to figure out what high flow water pump i can use with those accesories.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
If it's a belt driven pump go with a Stewart water pump last mechanical pump you will have to buy. Our temps dropped 20 to 25 degrees... Doesn't get over 190 ever. One thing I can't stand is a hot engine

For an electric pump go with meziere 55gpm.

·
Registered
391 Posts
High flow pump is a "must" with any aftermarket radiator. The aftercooler in front of the radiator is definately a restriction to airflow even if it's not hot - personally I would move it too.

·
Registered
502 Posts
The 4.3 pump is exactly the same as a sbc pump. The problem isn't water flow, its airflow. Add a second smaller radiator in the stock Syclone/Typhoon ic heat exchanger location. A 1975-1976 VW Rabbit radiator perfectly, and they're cheap as dirt. Run your heater (bypass) water through the smaller secondary radiator. Use a stock S-10 radiator, or C4 corvette radiator in the stock location. Put good Spal electric fans as pullers on both of them...if you don't need a big ass 85 amp continuious duty solenoid to run the fans, they aren't big enough ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the truck is a 700-1000hp street truck, and i want the intercooler to remain in the front. the dodge viper fan pulls 4000cfm on high, and i have it on low now. i would like to upgrade the pump to a high flow as the stock 4.3l pump is a factory pump for vortec v6 and v8. the heater will remain functional. i think the problem is shrouding. try to look at the pics and see if you can decide. the underhood temps of the turbo dont help any either. i think the radiator/fan combo is more than enough.

i think it might have something to do with the reverse rotation pump on a sbc that normally comes with a standard rotation pump.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its not that the truck runs hott. i just want it to run cool, and i believe it might have something to do with ducting. an upgraded water pump should help and some good ducting. but is the reverse rotation water pump on a sbc ok?

·
Registered
59 Posts
wow how have i not see this truck in all of my turbo s10 / sonoma searching?!?! bad ass man any other specs on it? pm me if you dont wanna get too far off topic, thanks

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
What fan are you running?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it is a fully built 383 sbc single turbo, t56 6 speed ford nine inch garrett gt42, and i just started driving it a couple months ago. took me 3 yrs to build, and like slammed 98 "i will be done one day"

·
Registered
391 Posts
Add a second smaller radiator in the stock Syclone/Typhoon ic heat exchanger location. A 1975-1976 VW Rabbit radiator perfectly, and they're cheap as dirt. Run your heater (bypass) water through the smaller secondary radiator. Use a stock S-10 radiator, or C4 corvette radiator in the stock location. Put good Spal electric fans as pullers on both of them...
Do you have pics of this setup? Very interested as I am currently doing a SBC S480 setup and am quickly running out of underhood room - thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
that truck is freakin baddd! im building one very similar but on a slightly milder scale...
99 ZQ8 sonoma LQ4 tc-78/4l80e/12 bolt ~600rwhp, daily driver

id have to agree and try the second fan as well!

·
Keepn my pimp hand strong
6,768 Posts
Fan will make huge diff. even cruising highway speeds I dont know why with all the air cruising but my vega needed the fan on all the time!!!!You could also run a remote radiator to help!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts