Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
68,412 Posts
Do you see street cars draining their coolant at the track?

I use the same Prestone coolant in my car as I do in everything else, just not at 50/50. I also have a recovery bottle instead of a catch can.

If your car is spewing coolant on the track, fix your car.
Seen all three types of radiators take a dump on the track.

Just sayin'

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Distilled water has no mineral content, whereas "purified" water does have certain minerals added to enhance taste. Distilled water with some water wetter, rust inhibitor and water pump lubricant added would be the best collant for a race car.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
coolant

Reactions: vegaman924

·
Registered
55,118 Posts
I have had decent luck with Redline water wetter. It says it helps cool better but I am skeptical of that claim. It does however keep things from rusting and turning the water brown. It's sold at O'Reilly's so it easily found. I just use regular tap water. Never had any issues.
This is what I do on a dedicated race car. On my street strip cars I use 50/50 prestone and tap water.

Never lost a radiator to corrosion.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I do purified drinking water and VP's racing coolant additive (bought at O'Reillys next to Water Wetter). With that in my Champion radiator, along with a Meziere water pump, water restrictor, and Flex a Lite Wave fan my car has yet to go over 180 after a run in 95 degree weather. My radiator sat in the car without water for about 9 months (outside) without any water or coolant and I noticed the fins have slight rust on them in certain spots. You can tell it's in the water a little even after flushing it quite a few times but it's not bad enough for me to justify changing radiators when mine is practically new.

I've seen one thread on here that was pretty detailed about this topic and it was like this one as far as having half the people using distilled water, the other half using something like tap water, well water or purified water. I've seen an article/s praising distilled water as if it was holy water and another article/s saying stay away from it. My thinking is just to go with purified water. If it's safe enough for a human to drink, it's safe enough for a car; even though that same batch of water stays in the car a lot longer than a person, which could open up the argument of distilled vs purified for a car but on something like this, I say K.I.S.S. Don't overthink it, just try something different and see how it goes after a bit.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
I like the idea of a sacrificial anode in the water system. Anyone run one in the intake manifold threaded holes at the front or in the threaded hole in the heads? Where to get one that will fit there?

·
Registered
1,988 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I like the idea of a sacrificial anode in the water system. Anyone run one in the intake manifold threaded holes at the front or in the threaded hole in the heads? Where to get one that will fit there?
I have one in my intake. I think that I got it from Summit

·
Registered
761 Posts
Tap water and water wetter for years and years in my car and my race bike.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
I've run purified drinking water or tap water, Napa coolant additive, Water Wetter, Purple Ice, and now Amsoil additive. No difference between any of them on engine, radiator, or any cooling system parts. I used what was easiest to get at the time. I use purified drinking water and Amsoil additive now. Not sure what it does for temps, I'm on alky so could care less!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've worked in power production my entire 25 years of adult life. 17 years in the navy on nuclear powered submarines and 8 years in commercial nuclear power. What did we use for coolant? Deionized water. Cant talk much about naval nuclear power, but commercial doesn't even add anything to the water, just pure water. The idea that because the water is pure, that it will remove metal from the systems it comes into contact doesn't make a bit of sense. Metal impurities are found in coolant because of corrosion and erosion. Pure water with a slightly basic pH is the absolute best to prevent corrosion.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Water wetter from redline or vp and distilled water. No need to make it complicated. Over winter I drain it all out and fill it with antifreeze then run first couple races of year with it till it gets warm enough to just put water back in it.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts