Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been dumping tap water in my motors that I'm taking to the track, but I can see it's going to take its toll with the aluminum radiatiors, etc..

What is a good additive, or can I go to propylene glycol or something? I know ethyl glycol is a no-no at the tracks.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Filtered water from Walmart. Distilled is aggressive to bare metal. A water wetter additive with lubricant for the water pump is good too.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Do you see street cars draining their coolant at the track?

I use the same Prestone coolant in my car as I do in everything else, just not at 50/50. I also have a recovery bottle instead of a catch can.

If your car is spewing coolant on the track, fix your car.

·
T/S 368E
29,004 Posts

We've had this exact thread a dozen times.
Many of us have used distilled water for decades, especially after moving away from the city.
I've never seen an issue, but I sure the frick have using the nasty well water in my company vehicles.
The 1st year or 2 after moving away from Chicago I had to replace 3 radiators because they got ate up.

I have no issue learning new things, but I have not seen any proof spring/drinking/baby water is better than good old distilled water???

Reactions: Horndog

·
Registered
596 Posts
Distilled water and Penrite 10 tenths race coolant inhibitor. Have used Motol MoCool in another car. Both worked fine

·
Registered
714 Posts
Tap water, distilled water, de-ionised water, de-mineralised water, reverse osmosis water..& the list goes on.....
Here in Oz we can buy coolant that is pre-mixed with the correct water [ which ever one that is.. ] & I have used that for over 20 years & no corrosion.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

We've had this exact thread a dozen times.
Many of us have used distilled water for decades, especially after moving away from the city.
I've never seen an issue, but I sure the frick have using the nasty well water in my company vehicles.
The 1st year or 2 after moving away from Chicago I had to replace 3 radiators because they got ate up.

I have no issue learning new things, but I have not seen any proof spring/drinking/baby water is better than good old distilled water???

This is my problem. Tap water here is well water, and yes...it's nasty

·
Registered
234 Posts
TRACK: Hy-Per Lube Super Coolant (1 bottle) w/ bottled drinking water
STREET: Delo XLC Antifreeze/Coolant w/ distilled water - 50/50 mix

The Delo XLC calls for distilled water, or deionized/purified water. However, I avoided distilled water with the Hy-Per Lube per this recommendation: Why You Should Never Use Distilled Water in Your Cooling System

·
T/S 368E
29,004 Posts

Great post thanks!!!
Now see, that is something to show why not to use distilled, just posting it's bad doesn't tell me jack.
An expert telling us what they know is much different than me posting an opinion.
I still have had zero issues with distilled water, but I do break often and have to pull everything apart :(

·
Registered
234 Posts

Great post thanks!!!
Now see, that is something to show why not to use distilled, just posting it's bad doesn't tell me jack.
An expert telling us what they know is much different than me posting an opinion.
I still have had zero issues with distilled water, but I do break often and have to pull everything apart :(

There's a long-winded explanation here with regards to distilled water use:
TL;DR: "You should always use distilled or RO water in your coolant system, (when mixed with antifreeze/glycol based coolant), UNLESS you are using an additive that says NOT TO! OR if its straight water it needs to have a conditioner..."

In the end, I just go with what the manufacturer recommends, e.g., Hy-Per Lube says use regular drinking water, while Chevron (Delo XLC) recommends distilled with their coolant.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I have had decent luck with Redline water wetter. It says it helps cool better but I am skeptical of that claim. It does however keep things from rusting and turning the water brown. It's sold at O'Reilly's so it easily found. I just use regular tap water. Never had any issues.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I have used distilled water for several decades with no problems. Race cars get distilled water with water wetter added.

Reactions: Second Shooter

·
Registered
68,412 Posts
I have had decent luck with Redline water wetter. It says it helps cool better but I am skeptical of that claim. It does however keep things from rusting and turning the water brown. It's sold at O'Reilly's so it easily found. I just use regular tap water. Never had any issues.
Redline water wetter is what I've always used with distilled water.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts