Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a video clip of a launch off the Trans Brake on 8.5 Hoosiers.

http://youtu.be/zWOyvxHjsPM

Wild how the wheel wobbles off the brake at first. Champion's with single beadlocks.
Notice the fender and side sill plate on rear spoiler.

All shot with iPhone 5S and used iMovie to slow down and zoom in.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
What makes you so sure it's the wheel? Could be the axle housing flexing?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Sweet video. How fast did the car go on the 8.5s I know one of the owners buddies was saying on facebook that the car was a 4sec/180mph car on the radials. Wondering how much the 8.5s slowed it down or if the guy was just lying about the times

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What makes you so sure it's the wheel? Could be the axle housing flexing?
Don't know for sure but if the housing is wobbling that much we have bigger problems.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Don't know for sure but if the housing is wobbling that much we have bigger problems.
So its cool if its the wheels? I think its the axle tubes

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Wow!!

·
I am The Dentist
50,953 Posts
If you go full-screen on it, you can catch the reflection of the center/lug nuts in the top of the rim, and they're all moving... i'd believe the center of the rim is twisting/torquing before I'd believe the hoop itself or the bead is twisting and flexing.
BUT, if the center of that wheel is flexing that much, it'd rip itself out pretty quickly.

My money is on the suspension or the axle tube.

-Brad

·
Registered
517 Posts
Axle shaft/flange flexing after the bearing. I would bet if you launched it and coasted to the end the rear pads would be backed off the rotors. Try putting some spray paint on the axle end at the flange and see if it flakes off as it's moving around.

·
I am The Dentist
50,953 Posts
:confused: Its a Fox body Mustang... stock style 4 link.
STOCK stock style 4-link? How stock?
How are the links attached to the frame? How are they attached to the housing? Simple brackets, or beefy, gussetted mounting points?

I'd start looking for sloppy bushings, worn bolts, and cracked brackets.
If the links are stock, they could be deflecting too. Hell, if they're aftermarket, they could still be deflecting depending on how much oomph you're putting through them.

-Brad

1 - 20 of 29 Posts