Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
Great read! Thanks. There's an SR-71 here in Seattle at the Boeing Air & Space Museum...quite a sight to see. The starter carts for the engines were a couple of Buick V8's from what I recall.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
SR-71's engine oil is the consistency of peanut butter.

They have zoom climbed higher than 85,000 feet (top alitiude still classified). some put the estimate at 130,000.

A group was recently assembled to clean all of the museum MD-21 drones that the blackbird experimented with due to radioactive paints and metals. (trace amounts)

Truly interesting plane.

·
My little SBC...
2,694 Posts
That was cool. The SR-71 has been my favorite airplane since I was a child.

One of mine, too. (the other is the P-51)

If you have the chance to see one up close, it is incredible. I have seen the one on display at Richmond International Airport in Virginia.

Jim

PS Thanks Shelton, for the read, I have a similar text saved from an e-mail circulating awhile back.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Got a chance to guard one 20 yrs ago. Made an emergency landing at our base after loosing a engine over Central America. Had to have it's own hanger for security reasons. Leaked fuel like a mother but was too cool. Engine was flown from Calif. and transplanted right there.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Saw one on the flight line at Macdill in the late 80's.I remember when it took off it came back over the airfield and cracked the throttle and went straight up.You could here it but not see it.Awesome plane

1 - 20 of 78 Posts