Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey does anyone know who sells a cool can for a 1/2" NPT for -12? Everything I have seen is 3/8"

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
you can make one out of a aluminum battery box. Just need to machine (2) 1/2" NPT bungs to fit into the 2 holes with step on them and then run some coiled aluminum fuel line inside.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, but will that restrict fuel? We're running -12 which is .688 ID hose to feed the fuel pump and where would you find coiled aluminum tubing. I've been searching for 2 hours can't find 3/4" anywhere.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
has anyone ever tested these and have results on how well they work. I mean I could make one out of a coffee can pretty easily. if it was worth the effort.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
We messed with cooling fuel like 30-50 degrees actual temp and found no power over ambient 80-90's .

Tim

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I think personally cooling the engine with a recirculation cool-down system is worth more power than just the fuel. Saw some P/S guys using a freeon chiller setup to get the engines to like 45degF. Just make sure the oil is warmed up to temp so its not extra thick.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
He is tryin to keep the fuel from vaporizing in the fuel line. With all of the turbo plumbing in the engine bay, the mechanical pump is having a hard tim keeping up with the fuel pressure. By cooling the fuel he is trying to keep it from vaporizing and able to keep the pressure up.

·
Registered
450 Posts
It makes sense, I just dont see them at the drag strip. come to think of it. Im surprised I havent seen a fluid cooler for all the fluids. to go through a cool box. I know alot of the turbo guys use them for their trans.

·
Eddie Haskell
7,850 Posts
It makes sense, I just dont see them at the drag strip. come to think of it. Im surprised I havent quote]

I think the reason you don't see them on cars at the drags is monkey see, monkey do and NHRA banned them in Pro Stock when they realized that they made it harder to detect additives in the fuel. I have seen cooler fuel make more power on the dyno. No changes, no specific test. Fuell cell in the dyno on recirculating system (EFI). Fuel jugs in the shop. Add more fuel=more power. Everytime. If I was running a maximum effort program and it was allowed, I would have one.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
It makes sense, I just dont see them at the drag strip. come to think of it. Im surprised I havent quote]

I think the reason you don't see them on cars at the drags is monkey see, monkey do and NHRA banned them in Pro Stock when they realized that they made it harder to detect additives in the fuel. I have seen cooler fuel make more power on the dyno. No changes, no specific test. Fuell cell in the dyno on recirculating system (EFI). Fuel jugs in the shop. Add more fuel=more power. Everytime. If I was running a maximum effort program and it was allowed, I would have one.
EFI may be a little different but with a carb at the track it was worth nothing. The fuel temp in tech was 66 degrees on a 90 degree day. Everyone was doing it now no one does it.

·
Eddie Haskell
7,850 Posts
Let me remind you about carb isolators/heat shields. Phenolic fuel rail spacers. Phenolic carb spacers. All factory items. I'm sorry that your test did not give you favorable results. Maybe if I write in and they run this on mythbusters you would belive? :smt082 Yea, I get a big kick out of myself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts