Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 2 lb. bag of frozen claws from Costco. Defrosted for about an hour. Cooked covered for 20 minutes in a SS pot 2" salted water and two cut lemons with a SS steamer rack. Claws came out tough, dry and bland. I was hoping for a more tender and sweeter tasting lobster.
Any ideas what I did wrong, followed the recipes most sites quoted for frozen claws.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Got a 2 lb. bag of frozen claws from Costco. Defrosted for about an hour. Cooked covered for 20 minutes in a SS pot 2" salted water and two cut lemons with a SS steamer rack. Claws came out tough, dry and bland. I was hoping for a more tender and sweeter tasting lobster.
Any ideas what I did wrong, followed the recipes most sites quoted for frozen claws.
You over cooked them.....
Approx 12 minutes would of been about right.

Honestly and, I will be razzed about this, I microwave lobster.
Anything involving water take's flavor away.
Microwave lobster, pure lobster and salt water flavor. :p

Use to live in Togus Maine, kinda have a thing for lobster..... ;)

Jim

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
They are already cooked when you buy them from Costco. All you need to do is thaw them to room temp and warm them prior to serving. Definitely overcooking is the issue.

Denny

·
Low Life
1,962 Posts
You over cooked them.....
Approx 12 minutes would of been about right.

Honestly and, I will be razzed about this, I microwave lobster.
Anything involving water take's flavor away.
Microwave lobster, pure lobster and salt water flavor. :p

Use to live in Togus Maine, kinda have a thing for lobster..... ;)

Jim
Good idea with the microwave Jim. I think it would be tricky trying to stuff a couple of live 3-5 pounders in there though. Life long Mainer here and I boil whole ones until the antenna pulls off when I give it a sharp tug.

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
My brother in law (rhode island) taught me to use a bamboo cooker when reheating seafood
That sounds like a great idea. After taking a cooking class in China I bought a bamboo steamer. Problem is my electric steamer is so easy to use I have only used the bamboo once. Certainly steaming to warm would prevent overcooking if you don't get carried away. The best way to not overcook is just touch it with your finger. If it feels hot, it is ready to eat.

Denny

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Good idea with the microwave Jim. I think it would be tricky trying to stuff a couple of live 3-5 pounders in there though. Life long Mainer here and I boil whole ones until the antenna pulls off when I give it a sharp tug.

My dad used to say, we are Maineaiks.
Don't know if that term is still used???

Margaret Chase Smith used to stay at our house.

Don't know what is going on, 1.25-1.5 lb lobster's is all I can find around here.

Jim

·
Low Life
1,962 Posts
My dad used to say, we are Maineaiks.
Don't know if that term is still used???

Margaret Chase Smith used to stay at our house.

Don't know what is going on, 1.25-1.5 lb lobster's is all I can find around here.

Jim
Yup still a bunch of Maineaiks with some stinking liberals mixed in.

Margaret Chase Smith! Such a nice lady. I remember her well.

I heard a couple of fishermen from Portland say the other day that's all they can catch right now. Maybe the cold weather pushed them off shore for a bit. I know there is no lack of lobster in our waters.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My wife already said it was my fault.Now that I have gotten that out of the way....
Was a last minute purchase and I did a quick internet look for a "frozen lobster claw cooking times".
I think some of the expert's recipes I looked at may had crossed their frozen and fresh recipes.
No big loss only $30, so next time I know just to gently reheat.
Thanks.
Hope you all can forgive me and we go on.

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
That sounds like a great idea. After taking a cooking class in China I bought a bamboo steamer. Problem is my electric steamer is so easy to use I have only used the bamboo once. Certainly steaming to warm would prevent overcooking if you don't get carried away. The best way to not overcook is just touch it with your finger. If it feels hot, it is ready to eat.

Denny
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/helen-39-s-asian-kitchen-reg-bamboo-steamer-with-lid-set-of-3/1062243834?skuId=62243834&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_cookware_online&product_id=62243834&adtype=pla&product_channel=online&adpos=1o2&creative=224234111979&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&mrkgadid=558415274&mrkgcl=609&rkg_id=h-53881a3ad930cbda73e1375c32fb0847_t-1514949856&gclid=CjwKCAiA-KzSBRAnEiwAkmQ152BuR2dILCYKoNsRgZ96hrLsBDu6P6WvOS5s2Rk37zbFkwCiDhwFdxoCRH4QAvD_BwE
I go threw one of these a year.
- putting hot dog rolls
- reheating seafood
- Gua boa

Shit I made bbq pork dumplings fucking around and they came out great!

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
My wife already said it was my fault.Now that I have gotten that out of the way....
Was a last minute purchase and I did a quick internet look for a "frozen lobster claw cooking times".
I think some of the expert's recipes I looked at may had crossed their frozen and fresh recipes.
Thanks.
Listen, anyone who says they never made a mistake or screwed something up is a lire. Hell, i’ve even made six mistakes in my life. Imagine that! :p How we all learn. Great moments n failures, all the rest is a blur.

Denny

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Whoe! Hot dog buns or even steaming rolls for Philly Steak sandwich’s is a cool trick. Next level is Asian Sticky Bun sandwiches. Next level more is genuine from scratch Dim Sum. Love to see some pictures. High level Dim Sum is expensive for a reason. You can buy prepared frozen, but from scratch is a different story. Incredibly complicated n labor intensive.

No dope, as you know really did cooking courses in Shanghai China on how to make Shanghai soup dumplings. It was a whole fricken day on one dish. Yes, that complicated. Got home all psyched to make it n the pig ear paste in the blender grossed me out, but an important protein component of the dumplings. So much work, so complicated, unfamiliar ingredients, i’ve not tried since.

How about once, take a picture of what you make using your phone n post it. The dish was a bit more for me to do as you also make the rice dough n shape them from scratch. Enquirering eyes. Very unashamed to say I met my match. Pictures? Of what you made.

Denny

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
Whoe! Hot dog buns or even steaming rolls for Philly Steak sandwich’s is a cool trick. Next level is Asian Sticky Bun sandwiches. Next level more is genuine from scratch Dim Sum. Love to see some pictures. High level Dim Sum is expensive for a reason. You can buy prepared frozen, but from scratch is a different story. Incredibly complicated n labor intensive.

No dope, as you know really did cooking courses in Shanghai China on how to make Shanghai soup dumplings. It was a whole fricken day on one dish. Yes, that complicated. Got home all psyched to make it n the pig ear paste in the blender grossed me out, but an important protein component of the dumplings. So much work, so complicated, unfamiliar ingredients, i’ve not tried since.

How about once, take a picture of what you make using your phone n post it. The dish was a bit more for me to do as you also make the rice dough n shape them from scratch. Enquirering eyes. Very unashamed to say I met my match. Pictures? Of what you made.

Denny
trust me I think about taking photos, and sometimes do and throw them to social media but I have a 2.5 year old 45lb son hanging off of me lol. Shit I only get on YB when I'm at work

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
Thanks.
I literally fucked up everything the first time cooking an item on my smoker.
So 2 racks of ribs.... 20 bucks.... down the drain first time around
Small brisket, 40 bucks.... tasted like a tire
My favorite was a batch of chicken wings where half of them were raw and the other half were burnt. It actually takes skill to mess up that bad

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
I literally fucked up everything the first time cooking an item on my smoker.
So 2 racks of ribs.... 20 bucks.... down the drain first time around
Small brisket, 40 bucks.... tasted like a tire
My favorite was a batch of chicken wings where half of them were raw and the other half were burnt. It actually takes skill to mess up that bad
Don’t feel like the Lone Ranger. My first batch of ribs in my super duper Texas Smoker came out like shit. Basically I live in an Oak forest with virtually an unlimited supply of Oak. The ribs were so bad i’ve Not tried to use Oak since.

Denny

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
trust me I think about taking photos, and sometimes do and throw them to social media but I have a 2.5 year old 45lb son hanging off of me lol. Shit I only get on YB when I'm at work
Here is the good news............ In 30 years you will be taking cooking classes together.

Here is the bad news............ Steamed Shanghai Dumplings are a real bitch to make.

Click on below and it will take you to a readable version of the recipe.

Denny

·
Registered
2 Posts
You guys are so lucky you can eat shell fish. I am allergic. I always want to try the taste of it but never can. I feel like a lot of people have allergies but they have no idea just because it's not really popular to talk about it. I have a lot of friends who are actually allergic to different things like nuts, or honey or food coloring dyes and the way they figured it out is because they have been experiencing some really bad bloating and skin rashes. When I first got a skin rash after eating food I freaked and went to my GP. He suggested that I take a food intolerance test panel just to figure out what foods I am allergic to. A few weeks later and I find out that I am allergic to shell fish, almonds, sesame and paprika ;( I am glad I know that now because I am not experiencing any weird side-effects but I am sad that it put a lot of restrictions on my diet. Oh well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts