Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not big on camping. Usually if it's camping it's at a race track. However, we're going up to a lake for a weekend in a few weeks. We want to do something other than burgers/brats a little gas grill. What recommendations do you guys have?

I did a search and ran across the ziplock omelets and those sound good. I think we'll definitely try something like that. Question how do you keep your eggs while out in the wilderness? I'd hate to have them break inside the cooler but I'm not sure where you'd keep them.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Get a tri-pod to hang a grate over the campfire and grill some ribeyes. Nothin' like steak done over hardwood embers. Just salt and pepper. Try and get fancy you'll just mess it up. Oh yeah wrap some taters in foil and put them on the edge of the fire. Turn 'em every 5 minutes or so 'til done. Mmmm Mmmm!

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
ditch the gas and do it the real mans way over an open fire.
just get a grate or use one from your home bar b que!
food taste so much better over an open flame!!!!!
get an ice block or make your own (fill ziplock bags with water and freeze) and place in cooler with all your prechilled food stuffs.
it last for a few days and nothing will spoil.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Get a tri-pod to hang a grate over the campfire and grill some ribeyes. Nothin' like steak done over hardwood embers. Just salt and pepper. Try and get fancy you'll just mess it up. Oh yeah wrap some taters in foil and put them on the edge of the fire. Turn 'em every 5 minutes or so 'til done. Mmmm Mmmm!
What these guys said, ditch the grill and cook over the fire!

We normally cut up taters, onions, add some butter and wrap it well in foil, toss it right in the coals and rotate every few mins, shouldn't take but 15-20 minutes till done. We also do the same with veggies...Mmmmmm

Chicken breasts soaked in Italian dressing for a day is awesome over the fire as well.

Open a can of baked beans and set it on the grate for an easy side.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Also...save some of your leftover steak for the next morning, dice it up, toss it in with some scrambled eggs, onions, peppers, cheese and wrap it up in a flour tortilla, great breakfast burrito!!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great ideas! I was mistaken about the grill. We are going with in-laws and they're the "real" campers. I thought they were bringing just a small propane grill but apparently they're also bringing a tripod setting like mentioned above. However, I was a little dismayed to hear that they're only talking about doing hot dogs, brats and burgers. I will definitely take some of the tips mentioned here and spice up dinner or at the very least leave the wieners for them. lol

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Cast Iron Dutch Oven is a Must for serious camp outs. Not only for making stews and chilli, roasting but biscuts, Cobblers and keeping pan cakes potatoes ect. warm till the rest of the meal is done. The lid can be turned over to use as a griddle too. The pot will fry fish.

To bake it it just set on coals and place about 8 pieces of coals bricket size on the lid. This usually produces around 350 to 400 temp. more coals is hotter. less coals fror cakes and cobblers. If you have a trader Joes around, they have an all purpose, whole grain pancake mix that makes great Biscuits, pancakes and cobblers. Make the cobblers with canned pie filling dumped in biscuit mix. I like a little more sugar in filling, brown sugar tastes best to me, and cinnamon crumble on the apple one. The crumble is just cinnamon, sugar, butter and mix crumbled together and sprinkled on the top. There is cherry, blueberry and peach, depending on your taste.The apple seems to always be a hit. Use it for desert or morning coffee cake. Made Quail breast on Wild rice last fall in it. Uncle Bens wild rice mushroom soup and quail roasted on a spit. Makes good corn bread also. If you have a couple good dutch ovens, you don't need a fry pan.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Something for bread I like on the camp fire is a loaf of french bread, my preference is whole wheat, sliced in two, lengthwise buttered and sprinkled with dill weed. Wrap in foil and warm. You can prepare at home foil wrap and put back in plastic wrap till you use it.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Question how do you keep your eggs while out in the wilderness? I'd hate to have them break inside the cooler but I'm not sure where you'd keep them.
Walmart has plastic egg holders, they hold the eggs tight and seperate! I throw them in the cooler so they can't move and traveling in the trailer I think I've lost one. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
You need to make campfire pop tarts too.

My favorite is cinnamon and sugar with chocolate chips.

Any pie filling makes good ones too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts