Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
That guy...
8,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about converting my generator to propane because I don't want to install a gas tank in my trailer. I can use propane for the gennie and T into it for a gas grill...

I have an Onan GenSet 6.5

• Who's done it? Why? How?
  • How much did it cost?
  • Does it cost more in propane to run? Less? Same?
  • Any noticeable difference in the generator?

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
When converting a gas generator to propane you will loose about 20 to 30% power on the engine and KW output. Add that with losses in a hot environment and your down maybe to 50%. So now the gen set wont provide enough power for your needs. Just something you may need to think about.

·
Registered
559 Posts
only thing i noticed on mine it is a little harder to start in cold weather. but then mine is an old military unit with low compression. 30 kw 6 cyl.

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
I converted an Onan 4KW from an old motor home to propane. Got the parts from propanecarbs.com. Simple conversion and worked perfectly. Ran everything I needed to run. No more stuck floats, either!

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Most RV manufacturers have gotten away from even offering propane gen sets in motorhomes due to the disadvantages.

·
That guy...
8,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most RV manufacturers have gotten away from even offering propane gen sets in motorhomes due to the disadvantages.
Can you explain what those disadvantages are?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts