Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am converting my car to alcohol and was wondering if i can us my metal gas tank or do i have to go to a fuel cell. thanks james

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
Better to go with a fuel cell.
Do not use a steel tank with alcohol. Plastic or aluminum cell. Also, no foam.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im converting to methanol. i really want to keep the orginal tank if i can but i dont want to screw anything up. what about useing that por15 fuel tank sealer. thanks for ur input and info keep it coming

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
im converting to methanol. i really want to keep the orginal tank if i can but i dont want to screw anything up. what about useing that por15 fuel tank sealer. thanks for ur input and info keep it coming
I am not sure what por15 is or if it is ok with methanol. If you want to keep the stock tank it would be nice to find some kind of plating or coating that can be put on the inside. When you buy a drum of VP methanol it comes in a lined steel drum just have no clue what it is lined with. The other thing is I am not sure if any plater will want to mess with a gas tank.
One other idea I have is to do some research and see what the car manfacturers are putting in flex fuel cars as the same issues will apply to E85.

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
http://www.por15.com/prodinfo.asp?grp=1&dept=1

"LABORATORY TEST RESULTS POR-15® was tested for 168 hours at 97°F in a condensing humidity salt spray (ASTM B117). At the end of the test period, coated steel was free of rust or pitting. Acid and alkali resistance tests performed found panels coated with POR-15® to be impervious to gasoline, oil, chromic acid, hydrochloric acid, phosphoric acid, sodium hydroxide, caustic soda, 50% sulfuric acid, and 50% hydrofluoric acid. POR-15® was applied over a rusty substrate as a finish coat (approximately 23 mils dry film thickness). The coating showed essentially no undercutting at the scribed area after 2000 hours in a weatherometer*."

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
I have no direct experience with it, other than seeing it used in my dead buddy's body shop on the cheaper frame offs.

It's pretty thin, so it spreads out and fills cracks nicely. Not a lot of prep work needs to be done. Just basically degrease it, dry it, and apply the POR15.

Just whatever you do, don't get it on you, or plan on wearing it for a while if you do. The stuff is about impossible to remove.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Do not apply any POR product on rainy days or days with high humidity. If one drop of sweat falls in the container its all shot. It is highly susceptible to water contamination. Order the thinner for it too, it just works better than plain lacquer thinner. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts