Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i know this question has been asked alot but i have a turbo ls1 backed up by a th400 auto, the converter is in and there is about 2.5mm or 1/10th of an inch between the flexplate and converter when pushed right into the box. is this enough?

·
Registered
867 Posts
If it is a good quality converter i'd run it is a little under what is recommended but shouldn;t give you any issues

·
Registered
4,121 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so where do i go from here then? pull the box and coverter and get material milled of the pilloit hub and mounting ring? or space the box out 1-2mm? id love to run a mid plate but its a bit to late for that now.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Sell it and order a legit converter from PTC!!
How do you know what converter he has or doesn't have? Why does he have to sell his if he can make it work with a engine to transmission block plate?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Have run with the same clearance with a stiff flexplate without any problems.
But if you want to make the clearance bigger, take a sheet of 0,040 aluminum cut it like front of trans and put it between trans and engine.

·
Registered
441 Posts
How do you know what converter he has or doesn't have? Why does he have to sell his if he can make it work with a engine to transmission block plate?
It needs to be sold! I had a converter from the same place-no good. And it is a nitrous converter 4-4500rpm, now turbo application. Less heart ache spending money and wasting time on a plate on a already compromised converter. He could probably sell it and get one from PTC and come out financially about the same as buying or making a plate.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
It needs to be sold! I had a converter from the same place-no good. And it is a nitrous converter 4-4500rpm, now turbo application. Less heart ache spending money and wasting time on a plate on a already compromised converter. He could probably sell it and get one from PTC and come out financially about the same as buying or making a plate.
What converter is in it? I take it you are a friend of the OP?

·
Registered
441 Posts
What converter is in it? I take it you are a friend of the OP?
It is a ASNU converter(Taipan I think they call it), does have balloon plate. Whilst it can be spaced, if I had to remove the box I would explore the possibility of getting the correct converter.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
NOT MAKING A RECOMMENDATION !!! last time I had a converter fit like this I cut 1/8 in off the imput shaft ( did not get into the splines ) worked fine.. 3 yrs later.. still works fine.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
You won't gain any clearance by butchering the input shaft.... that's not what controls how deep the converter sits into the pump.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
You won't gain any clearance by butchering the input shaft.... that's not what controls how deep the converter sits into the pump.
I don't know alot about transmissions but can you explain why I had more converter to flexplate clearance after cutting the imput shaft tip than before it was cut ?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well box and converter are out of the car, managed to pull it out this afternoon, as ott308 says, it is a nitrous converter i was trying to use on a turbo build..better sorting it now then when its wiped shit out!

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Take a Glide with converter slid fully into it. Measure the depth from the block face of the case. Then pull the conveter and remove the input shaft. Reinstall the converter. Then remeasure. There's your answer. No difference should be seen.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts