Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car specs dragster 598 bbc , ati converter , powerglide trans . It takes about three seconds to get the converter up to 5200 when on trans brake and it doesnt want to go any higher. When i shift at 7600 it falls back to 6300 and thats about correct where i want it. My question is why wont the converter flash to 6300 when up on the brake? If it falls back to 6300 on shift you would think it would be able to go this high on trans brake.Even after i launch it takes about a second to hit the 6300 according to data logger.

·
Disconnected
3,444 Posts
Was the converter built specifically for your application? Or did you acquire it from a totally different vehicle/combo. The answer I believe you're after is that the converter is just too tight. If it goes to 5200 on the brake i'm assuming it's a 9 inch or possibly 10. ATI doesn't do a 9.5 for that type of car. The best thing you can do is take it out of the car. Look at the back (engine) side of the converter where the pilot goes into the engine. There are numbers stamped into ATI pilots that usually start wil A42 or A36. Call ATI and give them that number so they can tell you where the converter stands.

To answer your other question about the shift drop between gears, think of all the things that would contribute to that number changing course. Weight of the car, Tire heights, atmosphere being sucked into the motor, gear ratio, trans ratios, etc...

·
Super Moderator
19,590 Posts
Sounds like a carburetor problem which needs rpm to clean up. Have you tried and carb tuning or another carburetors? Do you have any timing controls activated on the launch?

Hutch

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
That sounds more like an engine problem.

The convertor just delivers what is sent to it.
If the engine falls on it's face there is nothing the convertor can do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts