Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering If anybody has experienced slowing down after having a converter freshened. It is a 8" Coan. I dont know if its in the tune but my 60ft. et and mph is off and I was at a diiferent track. Would I be better off with 9" behind a n/a 468?

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I was running an 8 inch behind my old 468 with 750 HP then went to a 7.7 inch which worked real well. I am running a 9.5 behind my 565 with 960 HP so a 9 inch seems too big unless you're spraying it or making hugh power. I'm no converter smart guy but the only way that a freshen up should hurt you is if they did something major. Call and ask them what they did. RM

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Generally the smaller the looser you can go. I'm fortunate that I have a gentleman down the street who builds converters. I'd call your builder and ask what the specs are/were. There are a bunch of things that can be done internally to change the stall speed.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Art at Coan said the work(bearings,race,springs,hub) would not change the stall before I sent it to him. By no means am I blaming the stall. I was at a different track and conditions change. I was just looking for experiences with converter freshening.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,959 Posts
Well, not saying they did anything wrong, but..........

My buddy sent his convertor back to Art Carr for a freshen-up and to raise the stall a little and two passes later, JUNK! Sent it back, lots of fins laid-over and broken. No idea what happened or what they did to a convertor that had previously worked fine.

They said, "That's racing". $900 later he has a new convertor......

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
You can change the stall by adjusting clearances. If they tightened it up a little, might change a hundred or two.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Yea it's too bad they don't all furnace braze the fins. You'd be suprised as to how some don't do squat to a core and charge big money for junk.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts