Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine has loaned me one of his converters to try in my dragster, and I wasn't able to call in time to get info on it from the builder, so I'm hoping someone on here can give me a rough guess at what it will stall at on my car.

I believe he said the converter is an ATI. It's an 8", and here's the numbers stamped on it: C34 350TH HC 300-19F1 SP

He said it stalled just over 8000 rpms in his comp car, he's running a 479 inch DRCE2 that makes 1245 peak hp, not sure what rpm. That's what it stalled at in his car when he was at Topeka. I'm making around 950 or so, and up here in the thin air of Denver. He's thinking it will stall around 6000-6200 behind my stuff, which is a 600 inch chevy. I'll get it in the car this next week, and will know then what it actually does, I'm just hoping for a ballpark guess here. Thanks for the info!

·
Super Moderator
19,480 Posts
Im sure his motor made big hp but it won't make anywhere near the torque of your 600 cid motor and he's likely shifting at 92-9400 rpm. That converter will still stall at 8000 in your car if you feel like spinning your motor that high to find out.:p

Hutch

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Hutch. Nope, high end chip is at 7800 and I'm not even trying to get it there. 7500 at the shift now, and quite a bit lower in the traps........(not watching the tach though, engine sounds slower than it does at shift......) I'll hold off putting it in then, as I really don't want to see that many rpms on my stuff.

·
Super Moderator
19,480 Posts
Its just my opinion. Maybe im completely wrong. We'll wait to see if one of the converter guys to chime in and agree or disagree to know for sure.

Hutch

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not worried about it working, it's more than capable of living behind my motor. I'm concerned about stall speed, but Hutch has pretty much answered my questions. Thanks Hutch!

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I just found out that the converter that I have is not an ati, my buddy can't remember who made it. Anybody have any ideas by the numbers from my first post?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Mark,

You should just use what you have for now, and get with Lenny over the winter. Try to get your engine dyno'd and get the info to him and he can build you a darn near spot on conv. Just my opinion, but you see what my car is doing with his tweaks on my conv. right?;) 1.40 down to a 1.28 60 ft.r ain't much to sneeze at but in my heavy tug boat, that's sayin something:rolleyes: just don't know what hahahahahaaaa lol

Get with Lenny dude and never look back, well, unless you get different heads that is:smt102:p

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey John! Yeah, pretty much decided I'm not putting the other converter in. Still working on a deal for the heads though! Yeah, I'd say you picked up quite a bit! I'm hoping to as well, but we'll see when the time comes!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts