Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mistakenly let a friend borrow a torque converter. What I mean is he got the wrong converter. It is a Art Carr 6500rpm (behind my small block on the brake). He put it behind a 505ci bbc and tried to spay it in a 3200lb car. It ran good on the motor, but of course not with the NOS. It just didnt pick up much with it. I want to put the converter back in my car. What is the chance of it being hurt by the BBC on the gas? Anything I can look for in it? Thanks

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I put my converter back in and its hurt. I lost 2 tenths and 3mph in the 1/8th. Oh well, Art Carr said send it back and they would freshen it up for $175.00 plus shipping. I guess it will be heading to Texas soon.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well. I sent the converter back to Art Carr, They called me and said it had the fins laid back and is now junk. They said they dont make 8" converters anymore and have no parts to fix it! They will ship it back to me if I pay shipping. I have allready paid $25.00 to ship to them. I wish the guy I talked to had told me they couldn't repair a 8" converter that was made by them ( I informed him what I had before I sent it to them). But they did offer to sell me a 9 1/2" converter.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats what they told me. They will trash it for me, or send it back to me if I pay the shipping. Oh well, live and learn right.

·
Registered
286 Posts
No good deed goes unpunished...

Maybe your friend will at least give you the money to have it shipped back...

·
Misanthropist
3,142 Posts
No good deed goes unpunished...

Maybe your friend will at least give you the money to have it shipped back...
X2!

(or consider another converter builder. I believe UCC Lenny will built ANY core!)

Lenny!?!?! You out there??

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Hi Guys, Yes we stock parts to fix most all converters. As a matter of fact, we just invested in all new opel pumps and turbines as 8" cores have all but disappeared, and most core suppliers want an arm and a leg for used cores. The new stampings are a joy to work with and are straight as an arrow.

·
Misanthropist
3,142 Posts
Hi Guys, Yes we stock parts to fix most all converters. As a matter of fact, we just invested in all new opel pumps and turbines as 8" cores have all but disappeared, and most core suppliers want an arm and a leg for used cores. The new stampings are a joy to work with and are straight as an arrow.
Lenny,
Do you buy, or know of facilities that buy converter cores??

(thanks for responding...I knew you would!)

·
Misanthropist
3,142 Posts
Good deal. I have a bunch I'm looking to get rid of...

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I spoke to Art Carr again concerning my broke converter. They are going to bulid me a 9 1/2 inch and only charge me for a rebuild. Ill let everyone know if it happens, which I think it will, going by my conversation with them today.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Well I spoke to Art Carr again concerning my broke converter. They are going to bulid me a 9 1/2 inch and only charge me for a rebuild. Ill let everyone know if it happens, which I think it will, going by my conversation with them today.
Thats good new man, hope it works out good for you.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I got my converter. They only charged me for a rebuild. That says a lot for Art Carr. Anyone know what difference a 9 1/2" converter will make vs. a 8" with the same stall?

·
Super Moderator
19,570 Posts
Really depends on what the stall speed is. If you have to make a 9.5 very inefficient to make stall versus an 8" which has a higher stall range by design then that may cause some grief down track. Let us know how it compares.

Hutch

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Will do. It may be while before I get back to the track. The crank broke in my engine, so I'll be down a while. Hutch, thanks for all you do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts