Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Chinese buffet destroyer
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am putting my converter back in my car, and its been so long i dont remember how much play it should have. its got rougly 3/16 to a 1/4 inch of play from where its all the way back till it touches the flexplate. is this normal? it looks like i could just slide it forward flush and bolt it on, but i want to make sure its correct and doesnt tear anything up. this is on a th400 with a brake, and a 10inch converter. thanks, bill.

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
Ideally, 1/8 to 3/16".

What you can do is stack washers together that equal 1/8" thick and put these between the conv mounting pads and the flexplate.

Make sure that the conv snout does not bottom out in the crank.

·
T/S 368E
35,304 Posts

I also use washers to get exactly 3/16", but I'm picky.

·
Banned
18,113 Posts
I recently went through the same thing. I had about 1/4" or clearance. Last year I jsut slid the convertor all the way out and bolted it to the flex plate. Pulled the engine and trans after 250 passes to make sure all was good, it was.

This time I decided to actually put washers between the convertor and flex plate so I wasn't pulling the convertor so far out of the front pump.

·
Chinese buffet destroyer
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool thanks guys, gonna break the cam in this friday night! i am so excited! i'll try and post up video on here somewhere. thanks again-Bill.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I assume since you are 'breaking in the cam', that it's a flat tappet lifter. If it is, make sure you use an oil additive with Zinc or get some Rotella 15W40 motor oil. If you don't, the cam will not last.

·
Chinese buffet destroyer
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i've got the comp cams break in lube, and was told that i could just add it to motor oil. i've got some 0 weight heavy duty oil that i can have for free, is it worth it that much to use rotella? i'll go buy it if needed, but i figured for the break in it would be ok with the comp cam additive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts