Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first of all its a th400 on a ford modular motor. when the the trans was going up it was lined up on the pins on the motor but i couldnt push the bell housing flush all the way to the motor. i think now that the bushing that is on the converter wasnt lining up in the crank pilot hole but i made the mistake of using the bolts to tighten the trans to the motor. the bushing did go in and the trans is flush with the motor but now the wont come to the flex plate. it spins fine but when i try bolting it to the flex plate the converter is stuck to the trans and pulls the plate to the converter not the converter to the plate. do i need to just pry the converter free and try again of did i brake something?

·
Montgomery Ragland
3,016 Posts
uhh, you better pull it back down and backup and punt. I don't know that much about trans, and converters but it seems like possible the converter was not seated fully and you mashed it on.

Hopefully nothing is harmed but it dosen't seem like thats the case. You could of harmed the pump, converter, or crank by pulling everything up tight against its will.

·
Registered
49,494 Posts
Get a pry bar out and a pry it off if you can. If not take it to a trans shop and be ready to buy a new converter.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the converter was fully seated to the trans when it was going in. the crank should be fine i was just using a 3/8 ratchet to tighten the bolts so i couldnt be using that much force

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
finaly figured it out. the converter was in right. but i over looked the pilot bearing race when i removed the pilot bearing from the crank. the bearing race was keeping the busing from going in all the way in . eveything looks good nothing broken from what i can see.

·
Super Moderator
19,478 Posts
Im still a little concerned with the fact that the converter was stuck in the trans. Sounds like it may have bottomed on the input shaft spline. Did you have .125" between the flexplate and converter when you went to bolt it together?

Hutch

·
Registered
49,494 Posts
Get the converter checked out along with the trans, could have beat up all kinds of stuff including the motor.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
once the trans was down the converter did pop out with out that much force i just used a pry bar because i thought it was realy stuck in there. im sure i could have removed it by hand. also when the trans was up in the car the converter was seated and spinning effortlessly i just couldnt bring it to the flex plate. my clearence was 3/16. i used a 3/16 drill bit to check. the reason i couldnt bring it close to the plate was because the pilot bushing was going in the crank hole just not all the way in because of the pilot bearing race i forgot to remove

1 - 10 of 10 Posts