Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In regard to my previous post I went ahead and talked to Steve at TCS. He looked up my old convertter from them and it's a 30 degree high stall, which I take to mean 30 degrees negative fin angle pump. I ordered a similar stall speed 8 inch estimated in the 5000 to 5500 stall, which he stated should be in the neighborhood of a 10 degree positive pump. If I was running a trans brake he would have been in the area of 30 degrees positive, but I have no plans at this time for a trans brake. The converter will also have a mechanical diode sprag, so I shouldn't have any issues even if I spray the engine down the road. I plan to try the taller slicks this friday night, then the converter will probably be installed for a race on the 14th. I will keep you posted on the changes between these combinations, and if all goes well a gear ratio change will happen before the end of the year.
Thanks again,
Doug

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it didn't give me what I was looking for but some changes are in the works to help things out. There is only one local race coming the Labour day long weekend then I'm done for the season, at which time I will...
Change from 4.10's to 4.56's
Change from stock leaf springs to Calvert split mono's (already using Cal Trac bars)
More engine tweaks, guessing 20 to 40 HP at most.

At best the new converter gained me quicker 60' times by .02
At worst my MPH is 2 slower
I'm planning to see what TCS can do to improve the efficiency with the new converter without reducing the flash stall by more than 500 RPM. (old 9" flashed 5300, new 8" @ 5500) I can footbrake stall easily at 3600 which is good for getting a good reaction time, but it preloads the suspension quite a bit, removing front end travel which I need for hook.

While we're on the topic of hook, how much crap and abuse is a trans brake on the driveline compared to foot braking? Does running a 2 step while on the brake reduce the shockload somewhat? Is a trans brake even adviseable on an already traction limited car? Will a TH350 even be a good candidate for a brake on a heavy car, and what is the going rate for a TH350 brake valvebody and related components?

Thanks for any help Hutch,

Doug

1 - 5 of 5 Posts