Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi fellows looking for some advice. i need to know the best conventional head for a pro mod type car. currently 509 donavan block bb-2,kobelco 14-71 lenco 3 speed,crower clutch. car runs 4.30 consistantly. looking to step up a little and would like to stay with conventional heads. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have been looking at the victor pro head that curtis offers. the car owner is talking about swapping to big chief style heads but i think this is going to get more involved than he thinks. the paper work he got with car says the heads flow 390 don't know anymore than that. the engine is from oddy's i think. is it possible to go 4.0-4.10 with conventional heads. the car has best of 1.028 2.81 330 runs 168 mph 1/8 would like to run 173-174 mph.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
heads

Lance the Victor head flows decent but unless you get a solid version they will crack.We ran a few sets. We got around 400 cfms but they only last a few passes before cracked apart.Leaked cylinder to cylinder pretty good also. the BB4 seems to be a killer piece as far as conventional
other than that the big chief style is the way to go,worth the money in the long run

·
Registered
21,313 Posts
Lance, you could also PM Camp Stanley on here. He's built/run nothing but blown/alky for years. He has a few customers I believe in Australia that have done very well with Dart 360's. He could probably make some recommendations.

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
You might want to look at the new Dart Pro 2's.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Lance the Victor head flows decent but unless you get a solid version they will crack.We ran a few sets. We got around 400 cfms but they only last a few passes before cracked apart.Leaked cylinder to cylinder pretty good also. the BB4 seems to be a killer piece as far as conventional
other than that the big chief style is the way to go,worth the money in the long run

who's victor head are we talking about that crack's?

Thanks

Nick--

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
would like to know more about the cracked heads also. has anyone had any dealing with the alan johnshon 481 heads. the guy doesn't mind buy what it takes just looking to stay simple as possible and pick up a few numbers. thanks

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
edelbrock victor or a gm 861 bowtie casting with the .750 raised exhaust port.the heads are the same. the deck isnt thick enough and it cracks in the chamber, most times towards the spark plug.
we even cracked some on low boost blown gas when the motor detonated. mine was alky with no water so i ran them cracked
I currently run a A.J. 481x in the red 57 thats a nice piece and easy to work on,so does little Camp Stanley

·
Registered
1 Posts
BBC Billet heads

have you considered AJPE BBC Billet heads?
conventional bbc design, solid billet 6061, no water jackets, ect

currently being run in many classes from worlds quickest bbc tf/nost tf to Mark Micke's Pro charged camaro, Craig Fahl top sportsman, ect.
contact us if you would like more info
chris barker

·
Registered
136 Posts
We ran Dart 360`s, with a PSI and ran well with them, and had no issues. We went 6.25 @ 229 with that combo, with a Bruno-Lenco set up. 20`s and 30`s all day long. Its a Pro Mod car BTW.

Now we have an AJ 481X. We have run a few 20`s, but really picked up in the MPH area, running 236+. Mainly due to the ability to actually flow the air the C rotor makes.

Lonnie Houde and Scott Filkins have been in the 5`s @ 242+ with a big chief head as well. If you need any help, check out www.LHPRacing.com and give Lonnie or I a call.

-Jason Bunker

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
edelbrock victor or a gm 861 bowtie casting with the .750 raised exhaust port.the heads are the same. the deck isnt thick enough and it cracks in the chamber, most times towards the spark plug.
That was the Victor #77609 that had that problem, .. NOT the current
Victor 24* # 77419.

But that said, .. I would use a solid Dart 360 casting for this, ..
I do a bunch of those for blown alky monster trucks, and a few
drag applications. ( flow around 460 cfm @ .900" )

I've been through Oddy stuff and picked it up a bunch, ..
he doesn't really do much head work.
You might be able to reach your goals with conventional stuff, ..
but if you really want to go fast spread port can make a difference.
I build a 14* power adder head on a Solid dart casting as well.

Curtis

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
have you considered AJPE BBC Billet heads?
conventional bbc design, solid billet 6061, no water jackets, ect

currently being run in many classes from worlds quickest bbc tf/nost tf to Mark Micke's Pro charged camaro, Craig Fahl top sportsman, ect.
contact us if you would like more info
chris barker
Was about to suggest those heads as well. Bad to the bone.

·
Registered
48 Posts
for T/D racing, sometimes we have quick turn around times late in the rounds. Do you not worry about heat in the motor and oil with these solid heads. I assume you run no water through the motor with solid heads? never had any experience with solid heads and am fixing to be new to this blower stuff. thanks

·
Registered
976 Posts
Scott Braskett has gone 4.15 in the eighth with a 540 and a Dart 360's. They were ported by a guy that used to work as Sonny's. I will ask Scott for his info for you today. This is a really proven combo from the Camshaft to the heads. Scott has really refined this combo and has gone high 6.30 with it. He runs a 14-71 blower.

·
Registered
48 Posts
did they ge the exhaust port / gasket roblem fixed on the BMF? I know of several people here who got the BMF head and the exhaust port was larger than their headers on the roof of the port? they had to slot the header flanges to raise them to cover the port

1 - 18 of 18 Posts