Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a link as to where to buy a continuous duty solenoid ? Seen a bunch on eBay but they are like 12.00 , then seen some on McMaster Carr and they are 46.00 . I was told to use ones for golf carts ( not for a golf cart for race car ) . Any suggestions on where to purchase one .
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Try Waytek Wire, Milspec Wiring, RJ Race Cars, Jerry Bickel Race Cars, etc.

·
Registered
20,704 Posts
A good quality continuous duty solenoid hasn't been 13 bucks for at least 10 years. I'd expect to pay at least 25-30 regardless of what they are really worth. Worse, the current crop of NAPA/ O' really's/ Autozzzzz don't even know WTF they are and will try and sell you a Ferd starter solenoid, if they don't just throw up their hands

Cole Hersee, used to be good, I don't know, anymore

https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&source=hp&ei=6lfoXeC-MoPw9AOZp7voBQ&q=cole+hersee%2C++continuous+duty+solenoid&oq=cole+hersee%2C++continuous+duty+solenoid&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0l2j0i22i30l8.2227844.2241879..2242058...6.0..0.215.7590.0j40j3......0....1..gws-wiz.....0..0i131j0i10j0i333.OFlr7hNl164&ved=0ahUKEwjg24u8qJ3mAhUDOH0KHZnTDl0Q4dUDCAc&uact=5

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Battery isolator solenoid. The 80 amp versions are cheap. The bigger ones are still reasonably priced.

I use a Stinger 80 amp on a MK-VIII fan. I added diodes to prevent flyback.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
16,422 Posts
Pretty sure the last one I bought was from Flaming River. I could be wrong. If you aren't paying at least $30 for it I bet it is junk though. A Ford starter relay can't be used as a continuous duty relay, they will over heat.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Cole Hersee Continuous Duty Solenoid 24812 -- same as Moroso 74107 and Painless 50105 alternator shutdown relays.
https://www.boatandrvaccessories.com/products/cole-hersee-24812-solenoid

NOTE: The solenoid draw is 2.5A while engaged so make sure to switch it off when not in use. If left engaged with the car not running, it will drain the battery.

Other options: Trombetta 114-1211-010 or Camdec 18226-WR
http://texasindustrialelectric.com/relays.asp

As 'juiced coupe 78' mentioned, add a diode across the two small terminals to prevent flyback.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
16,422 Posts
Painless 50105 is what I have used in the past. It does pull a decent amount of power as mentioned above so make sure you hit the kill switch in the back or you're going to have some dead batteries!

I used these on NHRA Stock Eliminator cars that had a battery in the back but were still mandated by rules to have a battery in the front. I wanted to make sure when the master disconnect was thrown in the back that BOTH batteries were disconnected, no hot wires in the car. The rule making us run a battery up front is stupid, but it's their rule we have to follow.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Guys with the old Powerstroke diesels are using relays from a Western plow. Probably going to get a plow relay for a spare. Cost about 30 bucks.
Before I do I'll check with the local alternator/starter repair shop for their recommendation. They sell Cole/Hersee.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Anyone have a link as to where to buy a continuous duty solenoid ? Seen a bunch on eBay but they are like 12.00 , then seen some on McMaster Carr and they are 46.00 . I was told to use ones for golf carts ( not for a golf cart for race car ) . Any suggestions on where to purchase one .
Thanks in advance
get one used for snow plows, looks like a ford sol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts