Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone specifically choose a specific make of shock/tach/wheel etc to get the money rather than choosing something you are familiar with (assuming both are the same quality)?

Im making some big changes to the car and i dont know if i should get contigency part as opposed to the part i actually want.

·
Registered
21,313 Posts
It's a matter of comfort level. If you're a diehard fan of a brand, and you've used it before, chances are you'll stick with it. If you know that two brands are both good, but only one pays contingency, you'll pick that one. At least that's been my experience working in the industry.

IMO you should at least take a look at the brands paying contingency. I've seen Sportsman racers win $500-$5000 in cash and parts by winning an event in a sanctioned series.

·
Registered
469 Posts
If you race in a series that offers contingency awards and you have a realistic chance of winning, it's obviously an important consideration. The money can really add up. For instance, at an NHRA national event, most companies post $300 to win and $100 for runner-up in sportsman categories. Fifty decals (not uncommon) equals $15,000.

·
Race Pages Magazine
2,532 Posts
I've been totaling up the winners' contingency each race for the stat page in the book for the past year or so, and @ $300 per, it really adds up fast.

Just a tip - run the Summit Logbook sticker, and keep a logbook in the car. That's probably the easiest contingency out there, and I cringe when I go through and see a winner who doesn't have (or claim) that one. It's so easy!

So I'd say as long as you aren't compromising performance, safety, or personal beliefs, go with the parts that pay.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts