Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would be replacing a 7530 Team G with it. It will be going on a a '62 327 witha 3.875 stroke, a comp cams 282 hr cam, 9.6:1 compression, in a 67 Nova. The engine went 12.14 in my 62 Vette at Fontana. The Vette and Nova weigh about the same, except the Nova has a m/t with 3.55 gears and the Vette had s 3.36 rear and an auto.

I am going for a period look, but don't want to give up too much drivability.

Does anyone have experience with the strip dominator? Any experience with the short vs tall intakes? I'm planning to have the intake ported and the plenum modified. I have a lead on a short intake, but havent bought one yet.

Thanks in advance

Wes

·
46,898 Posts
I'd say a 2975 Vic Jr. would be a better choice and just as much (or more) period correct.

·
Registered
26,733 Posts
I need an oil fill tube if anyone has one they'd care to part with. Preferably not a chrome one.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd say a 2975 Vic Jr. would be a better choice and just as much (or more) period correct.
I ran the 7530 because it fit under the Vette's stock hood. I have a little more height with the nova. I do want to run an intake with a fill tube. I have a pcv port in the fill tube and have an old set of weiand valve covers i want to run that do not have a hole for oil fill.

A machinist I was talking to recommended the old strip dominators, but I don't have any experience wth them.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Use any intake you want,....as long as you show us pics of your sexy little lady helping install it. :smt023:smt023

Haha,......how's it going Wes? :)
Things are good Frank. I may need to pick your brain, I'm looking for a paint gun that will work well for single stage urethane and bc/cc.

I'll see what I can do abouth the pics

·
46,898 Posts
I ran the 7530 because it fit under the Vette's stock hood. I have a little more height with the nova. I do want to run an intake with a fill tube. I have a pcv port in the fill tube and have an old set of weiand valve covers i want to run that do not have a hole for oil fill.

A machinist I was talking to recommended the old strip dominators, but I don't have any experience wth them.
Gotcha.

I originally had a fill tube with the PCV valve on my '67 Nova wagon when I bought it. It had an original Winters/GM aluminum intake.

·
42,701 Posts
Things are good Frank. I may need to pick your brain, I'm looking for a paint gun that will work well for single stage urethane and bc/cc.

I'll see what I can do abouth the pics
I was gonna suggest a trade,...pics for gun advice but... :p,...I'm always game to help anyone who wants painting help.

Unless you're looking for a really cheap, inexpensive gun,........... a really good gun that isn't in the $700 - $1000 range like SATAs and Iwattas is the Devilbiss Tekna Pro Lite.

It sprays everything very well, and can be found for between $400 - $600.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gotcha.

I originally had a fill tube with the PCV valve on my '67 Nova wagon when I bought it. It had an original Winters/GM aluminum intake.
The fill tubes with pcv valves are nice if you want to run closed valve covers on a rear vented block. I'd considr a 67-68 z28 intake, but I doubt I would be able to get into the 11s with it. I'll ptobanly lose 3-4 mph when I switch back to my camel humps, i never went quivker than 12.64 with them.

I used to leave the vette's stock pg shifter in drive. It would shift below 5400 every time. With the stick I should be able yo run it until it starts to nose over

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was gonna suggest a trade,...pics for gun advice but... :p,...I'm always game to help anyone who wants painting help.

Unless you're looking for a really cheap, inexpensive gun,........... a really good gun that isn't in the $700 - $1000 range like SATAs and Iwattas is the Devilbiss Tekna Pro Lite.

It sprays everything very well, and can be found for between $400 - $600.
Thanks Frank, I'll look those guns up and pm you later

·
46,898 Posts
The fill tubes with pcv valves are nice if you want to run closed valve covers on a rear vented block. I'd considr a 67-68 z28 intake, but I doubt I would be able to get into the 11s with it. I'll ptobanly lose 3-4 mph when I switch back to my camel humps, i never went quivker than 12.64 with them.

I used to leave the vette's stock pg shifter in drive. It would shift below 5400 every time. With the stick I should be able yo run it until it starts to nose over
It depends on how period correct you want to be. I wanted to be as correct as possible but when I took my 2.02/462's to be freshened up the shop told me that I'd be into them for more than a set of iron Sportsman II's and wouldn't work anywhere near as good. He said that once they were painted no one would be the wiser. He was right on all counts.

I ended up selling that GM intake for $175.00 or $200.00 on Craigslist. I was told after the fact that it was worth much more.

Oh well, that's what happens when you give a Pontiac guy a Chevy part. :p

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mike stark did my '62 327/300 hp 461x heads. Wasn't cheap, but when I did a dyno test with car craft a few years back, my engine mafe 452 hp with the camel humps, 462 with 200 cc Dart Pro 1 Platinum heads, and 490 hp with AFR 195 Eliminators.

I may pick up a set of the TFS camel hump heads when they come-out send them to Mike Stark to let him work hid magic on them, but for now I'd like to run the ancient door stoppers and take satisfaction from the occasional LS or coyote powered car I will beat.

·
46,898 Posts
Mike stark did my '62 327/300 hp 461x heads. Wasn't cheap, but when I did a dyno test with car craft a few years back, my engine mafe 452 hp with the camel humps, 462 with 200 cc Dart Pro 1 Platinum heads, and 490 hp with AFR 195 Eliminators.

I may pick up a set of the TFS camel hump heads when they come-out send them to Mike Stark to let him work hid magic on them, but for now I'd like to run the ancient door stoppers and take satisfaction from the occasional LS or coyote powered car I will beat.
There was recently a set of X heads on Buffalo's Craigslist.

Me and Jim Oddy were discussing factory SBC heads and he said that the X heads were the best factory head but a set of iron RHS heads are far better for the same or less money after all was said and done.

·
Aviation Section
23,260 Posts
Frank, I spray a lot of single stage Urathanes here at work for the guys when I paint their generators and IDG/CSD's and have great luck with my Binks model 7, I have three so I brought one here when the guys were not having good luck painting their units, now I do them all and that Binks is like a fire hose, does an excellent job.

No need to pony up for a real one, I have noticed lots of knock-offs on Ebay that are fairly inexpensive. Just my .02 cents.

Dave

·
46,898 Posts
Frank, I spray a lot of single stage Urathanes here at work for the guys when I paint their generators and IDG/CSD's and have great luck with my Binks model 7, I have three so I brought one here when the guys were not having good luck painting their units, now I do them all and that Binks is like a fire hose, does an excellent job.

No need to pony up for a real one, I have noticed lots of knock-offs on Ebay that are fairly inexpensive. Just my .02 cents.

Dave
:smt017

Wrong thread? :smt102

·
42,701 Posts

Dave
My base coat work horse is a Binks M1-G and I love it. I'm on my second one. The first one I used so much, rebuilt it once and used it so much I literally wore it out. Bought a second one, and now have rebuilt that one already. The first one lasted 15 years of heavy use. This second one should last longer, because I run the shop now,...only painting on special projects.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts